PDA

View Full Version : why don't they do bone marrow testing on newly diagnosed patients?

Lani
09-24-2006, 12:38 AM
when reading the discussion on rates of recurrence of her2+ breast cancer I found myself unable to post a graph from an article on the very high rates of recurrence of those who were found at diagnosis to have Cytokeratin+ cells in their bone marrow which also stained + for her2neu

Many papers have discussed that these are cells which are not affected by chemotherapy (according to the stem cell theory of breast cancer they are dormant cells which only very rarely divide and thus are relatively "immune" from the effects of chemotherapy) Since they stain for her2neu, they should be sensitive to herceptin, however.

When I have discussed this I have gotten three answers 1) from someone whose lab does the testing--"I don't know why not" 2) from an oncologist--
we don't want to subject our patients to that test as noone likes to have their bone marrow biopsied (!!!!!!!!!this, from someone who orders hundreds of people-- many of whom would do equally well without it, as they have been unable to test to find just those who need chemotherapy--to be given chemotherapy the effect of which lasts more than a few hours or days and which can lead to long-standing problems and increased rates of second cancers????) 3) because not all labs are good at processing the marrow and doing the test equally well although the technique protocol has been well described.

I just discovered the following, a blood test, which might help indicate those patients who should have the bone marrow tested.

Glycosyltransferase Points to Breast Cancer Metastasis

By David Douglas

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Sept 22 - The ppGalNAc-T6 molecule, one of a family of glycosyltransferases, may be a useful marker for detection of bone marrow-disseminated breast cancer cells, Uruguayan researchers report in the September 15th issue of the International Journal of Cancer.

"Our preliminary results," lead investigator Dr. Teresa Freire told Reuters Health, "suggest that the expression of this molecule would be correlated with a worse clinical outcome of patients with breast cancer."

To investigate the utility of ppGalNAc-T6 mRNA as a marker, Dr. Freire who is currently at the Institut Pasteur, Paris and colleagues conducted a variety of tests.

mRNA was found in 22 of 25 human breast cancer samples and in all 3 human cancer cell lines examined.

In addition, ppGalNAc-T6 mRNA was found in only 1 of 30 peripheral blood mononuclear cells samples obtained from patients without cancer. None was found in bone marrow samples from this group.

Furthermore, 22 of 61 breast cancer patients showed positive bone marrow aspirates before surgery. In preliminary follow-up, 11 of these patients (57.9%) experienced recurrence.

In a subgroup of patients without lymph node involvement, 54.5% of those with positive bone marrow aspirates had recurrence. This was the case in only 4.6% of those with negative findings.

"Although further studies are necessary," continued Dr. Freire, "these results also suggest that this new potential marker could be used in combination with axillary nodal status -- the only factor used consistently as a guide for therapy -- since a high rate of disease recurrence in node-negative patients showing ppGal-NAc-T6 mRNA-positive bone marrow aspirates was observed."

Int J Cancer 2006;119:1383-1388.

I know the Germans who have been instrumental in advocating bone marrow testing are starting a clinical trial to see if directing treatment by the bone marrow results will improve prognosis...

reference for the chart on the prognosis of her2+ patients with her2+ isolated tumor cells in their bone marrow:

1: Cancer Res. 2001 Mar 1;61(5):1890-5. Links
ErbB2 overexpression on occult metastatic cells in bone marrow predicts poor clinical outcome of stage I-III breast cancer patients.

Braun S,
Schlimok G,
Heumos I,
Schaller G,
Riethdorf L,
Riethmuller G,
Pantel K.
Frauenklinik & Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat, Munchen, Germany. stephan.braun@lrz.tum.de
Occult hematogenous micrometastases are the major cause for metastatic relapse and cancer-related death in patients with operable primary breast cancer. Although sensitive immunocytochemical and molecular methods allow detection of individual breast cancer cells in bone marrow (BM), a major site of metastatic relapse, current detection techniques cannot discriminate between nonviable shed tumor cells and seminal metastatic cells. To address this problem, we analyzed the relevance of erbB2 overexpression on disseminated cytokeratin-18-positive breast cancer cells in the BM of 52 patients with locoregionally restricted primary breast cancer using immunocytochemical double labeling with monoclonal antibody 9G6 to the p185erbB2 oncoprotein. Expression of p185erbB2 on BM micrometastases was detected in 31 of 52 (60%) patients independent of established risk factors such as lymph node involvement, primary tumor size, differentiation grade, or expression of p185erbB2 on primary tumor cells. After a median follow-up of 64 months, patients with p185erbB2-positive BM micrometastases had developed fatal metastatic relapses more frequently than patients with p185erbB2-negative micrometastases (21 versus 7 events; P = 0.032). In multivariate analysis, the presence of p185erbB2-positive micrometastases was an independent prognostic factor with a hazard ratio of 2.78 (95% confidence interval, 1.11-6.96) for overall survival (P = 0.029). We therefore conclude that erbB2 overexpression characterizes a clinically relevant subset of breast cancer micrometastases.
PMID: 11280743 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

AlaskaAngel
09-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Hi Lani,

I have had the same question, and when I asked my onc about it, I gather that it is an open question for him as well.

Anyway, I found this article interesting:

Micrometastases often persist in breast cancer patients

Reuters Health
Posting Date: March 8, 2005

Last Updated: 2005-03-08 11:27:01 -0400 (Reuters Health)

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Despite undergoing surgery and receiving adjuvant therapy, most patients with early-stage breast cancer have bone marrow micrometastases up to 4 years later, according to a report in the March 10th issue of the International Journal of Cancer.

Dr. Martin J. Slade, from Imperial College London, and colleagues used a quantitative PCR (QPCR) technique they developed to look for transcripts of cytokeratin 19, a cancer marker, in the blood and bone marrow of 131 women with breast cancer, most of whom had node-negative T1 disease. These results were compared with standard immunohistochemistry findings.

All of the patients were treated with surgery and adjuvant therapy and had no evidence of metastatic disease on conventional scans.

About half of the patients had QPCR or immunohistochemistry results that indicated bone marrow micrometastases before surgery, the authors note. Of the 91 subjects who had repeat samples taken, 87% and 65% had evidence of metastatic disease at some point with QPCR and immunohistochemistry, respectively.

Systemic adjuvant therapy seemed to have an effect on residual disease. Among patients with residual disease before treatment or at 3 months, 32 of 44 displayed a drop in the CK19/ABL ratio and 15 of 24 showed a drop in cytokeratin-positive cells during follow-up, the authors point out.

"We have demonstrated that in a substantial proportion of patients, minimal residual disease persists using the techniques that we have developed, and that it is possible to monitor patients, preferably using both QPCR and immunohistochemistry, after breast surgery using bone marrow aspirates," the researchers conclude.

Int J Cancer 2005;114:94-100.

Lani
09-24-2006, 09:30 PM
for my opinion or that of other "propeller-heads"!

Jean
09-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Lani,
Very Very interestering post!
Back when I was first dx 4/05 I had heard of testing for bone marrow at Cornell (where I had my surgery) I had requested this procedure since they were doing the trial at Cornell. I could not get into it since I was NOT a patient of the dr. who was running the trials. Back then I could not understand that! Today I understand the potlitical behavior of dr. (it has been a frustrating journey of knowledge) the bone marrow testing was being done at the same time as the lumpectomy. It was not mentioned at Cornell that a trial was going on and would I like to particapate in it since I fit the profile - my dr. was not on the trial - so therefore no mention of it. I found out about bone marrow biopsey only through my own research on the internet - that a dr. at Cornell was performing bone marrow biopsey simultaneously with lumpectomy on early stagers. I was very annoyed about the way it was handled at the hospital. My surgeon didn't seem interested in the trial
at all which was rather shocking to me.(Understand why now) When I was first dx. and then going forward it seems to me that it is very difficult for women to get information easily from the hosptial or cancer center - rather anything that is in trial etc. is a mystery to all, they do not encourage or have much interest. I am curious as to why when women are early stagers with small tumors the surgerons do not even ask the patient if they would be interested in having the bone marrow biopsey perfomed? I would bet most of us would say YES.
This would only assit all. As I said, it is a frustrating journey when receiving the dx.

Jean

Lani
09-25-2006, 07:51 AM
to have a bone marrow biopsy done during the first surgery and then again under local anaesthesia at the completion of chemotherapy and again at the conclusion of herceptin (for early breast cancer patients) From what I understand many oncologists don't think patients would.
This was/has been the only invasive surgical procedure besides drainage of effusions that many oncologists were specifically trained in.
My take on it: Medical students who don't like doing invasive procedures opt out of surgical careers and into medical(nonsurgical) fields like oncology. As hematology and oncology were historically linked, the oncologists were left doing quite a few bone marrow biopsies, but perhaps they don't like doing them?
Having helped an adult with NKT cell lymphoma and a child with rhabdomyosarcoma (get information, go to Drs. visits with them), they did not complain about the bone marrow biopsies (they were done with local anesthetic, and asking if the area was numb before proceeding). They were "sore" for a day or so.

So why more bone marrow biopsies are not done until their usefulness can be proven/disproven remains a mystery to me. There are many more noxious and potentially dangerous procedures being done to individuals in the line of diagnosis and particularly treatment when their value IN AN INDIVIDUAL PATIENT rather than in ALL PATIENTS remains unproven. It is hard to imagine how many ER+PR+ patients with a good prognosis are treated with chemo and radiation therapy for the one patient who benefits from them. It behooves us to try to discover how to differentiate the few from the many (of course, we now know that those who are her2neu and triple negative make up a large share of those who tend not to do well without systemic therapy). Wouldn't it be nice to further refine those groups if prognostic information that could benefit treatment choices were available in this way.

My two cents only...

Jean
09-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Lani,
I had requested a bone marrow before and after and was told that Cornell could not and would not perform the procedure and it was not recognized as a procedure in their facility. I really pushed hard for it - Oh, by the way my insurance would have covered it.

I think a poll would prove interesting and if I had to bet on it I would side on the women having the biopsey....as I said earlier - INTERESTING.

Thanks Lani,

Jean

Jean
09-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Lani,
I had requested for bone marrow biopsey before and after.
I was informed that Cornell does not recognize this procedure and the hopsital would not allow it to be performed. I even went so far as to get my insurance company to approve it and they did. I then requested my surgeon to perform it for my own knowledge - I was refused...now that was at Cornell in NY...
I am wondering what if anything could be done with Dr. Slamon?

If I had to bet on it, I think many women would want to have the biopsey performed...yes I think a poll would prove this.

Thanks again!
Jean

AlaskaAngel
09-25-2006, 11:55 AM
The majority of those with early stage bc will not have recurrence even if all they have is surgery... and when we consider the monetary burden on both us and the health care systems for radiation, hormonal treatment, and new drugs...

I'd like to see a poll too.

A.A.

Lani
10-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Clin Cancer Res. 2006 Oct 1;12(19):5615-21. Links
Most early disseminated cancer cells detected in bone marrow of breast cancer patients have a putative breast cancer stem cell phenotype.

Balic M,
Lin H,
Young L,
Hawes D,
Giuliano A,
McNamara G,
Datar RH,
Cote RJ.
Authors' Affiliations: Department of Pathology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California.
PURPOSE: The presence of disseminated tumor cells (DTC) in the bone marrow of breast cancer patients is an acknowledged independent prognostic factor. The biological metastatic potential of these cells has not yet been shown. The presence of putative breast cancer stem cells is shown both in primary tumors and distant metastases. These cells with a CD44(+)CD24(-/low) phenotype represent a minor population in primary breast cancer and are associated with self-renewal and tumorigenic potential. Recognizing the potential effect of prevalence of putative stem cells among DTC, we evaluated the bone marrow DTC. EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN: We employed the double/triple-staining immunohistochemistry protocol and modified the established bone marrow cytokeratin (CK) staining protocol by adding steps for additional antigens, CD44 and/or CD24. We evaluated 50 bone marrow specimens, previously categorized as CK(+) from early breast cancer patients. CK(+) cells were examined for CD44 and CD24 expression by light microscopy, fluorescence microscopy, and spectral imaging. RESULTS: We detected the putative stem cell-like phenotype in all CK(+) specimens. The mean prevalence of putative stem/progenitor cells was 72% and median prevalence was 65% (range, 33-100%) among the overall DTC per patient, compared with primary tumors where this phenotype is reported in <10% of cells. CONCLUSIONS: This is the first evidence of the existence of the putative stem-like phenotype within the DTC in bone marrow in early breast cancer patients. All patients had a putative stem cell phenotype among the DTC and most individual DTC showed such phenotype. Future molecular characterization of these cells is warranted.
PMID: 17020963 [PubMed - in process]