PDA

View Full Version : Heart Pounding

JulieKW
09-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I have had three Herceptin treatments so far. I am 48, normal weight for height, started to run again 3x a week now that I am done with my radiation. Don't smoke. I have been experiencing feelings of a pounding heart off and on for a week. I am a nurse. I cecked my b/p and it is normal. When I have the heart pounding feeling my pulse is slightly irregular. It occurs anytime, no relation to my emotional state. No pain, no shortness of breath. I am wondering if this could be a sign that my heart is reacting negatively to the Herceptin. My next MUGA is in 11 days.

saleboat
09-24-2006, 02:21 AM
Hi Julie,

I think I know the feeling that you mention. I know that it is different than the tightening in the chest that I can get when I feel some anxiety. I wonder if this feeling, (like a fluttering of the heart?) isn't something that we used to feel prior to dx, but only notice now? My last MUGA was good, and I'm off Herceptin for almost two months now (finished a year).

Jen

Sandy H
09-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I get this when my potassium drops real low or my hemoglobin is low. Need to get it checked out or try to drink gatoraide, eat bananas. If you think its iron I would eat some beets and/or beets greens. This usually works for me. Of course, I have had both so I can tell by the way I feel if its either one. Usually, I am find in a couple of days and no need for medication. hugs, Sandy

Barbara2
09-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Could it be from palpatations? Most are quite harmless, but can be quite noticeable. The more you pay attention, sometimes the worse they get. I try to get busy with a project or any activity that takes my mind away from "me" and it seems to help.

doh2pa
09-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Hi Julie,

I experienced the same thing while on a Carboplatin/Herceptin/Ixabipelone regimen. Mostly happened at night when resting. My husband is a physician so I had a full work up by a cardiologist and they couldn't find anything wrong. After the cardiac workup they seemed to go away. Anxiety related?? MUGA was up over 65% througout this.
If they get worse, why don't you see if they can move your MUGA up, just to give you some peace of mind?

Donna

JulieKW
09-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Mine are so random I am thinking they are benign, also. I ran today for 1 1/2 miles and they went away for awhile, go figure, now (1040PM) they are back as I sit here.

Valsalva does not affect them either, or deep breaths.