PDA

View Full Version : My hubby has a lump...

Montana
09-22-2006, 08:17 AM
under his left nipple about the size of a marble. It is painful when pressure is applied which I hope to be a good sign...maybe a cyst??? We have an appointment this afternoon at the VA. I'm a wreck...he's very calm. What are the odds of a "husband and wife team of BC survivors??" Will let you know what happens.

Cathya
09-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Montana;

I can certainly imagine you are a wreck but I don't recall any pain with my lump...in fact that was one of the frightening things about this cancer to me. I pray it will all work out very well. The very same week I was diagnosed my then high school attending son had a lump in the same side breast as I did. The doctors have assured me (repeatedly) that this is a normal hormonal thing (can't remember the name) which will go away. You are right.....what are the odds!!?? Keep us informed and all the best.

Cathy

StephN
09-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Rare but it happens. Sorry you have to go through this worry!

My neighbor's brother-in-law underwent a mastectamy 2 weeks ago. First he had a boipsy that confirmed cancer. Not to make you any more nervous, but he also had a lump under his nipple and tissue around that seemed to be growing.

There are different kinds of Male BC just as for women.
Last word from my friend is that they think the surgey got it all, and they are deciding on followup treatment.

Also my rad onc's father had breast cancer back in the '80's. It was complications of prostate cancer that ended his life not long ago - not the BC.

Montana
09-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Thank you both for your words of encouragement. The doctor wanted him to try ibuprofen for a month or so to see if the lump (swelling) disappeared! It's a hard lump. I said, "I don't think so".

A mamogram has been scheduled for this coming Monday.

Sandy H
09-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Good for you for speaking up. I wouldn't be comfortable waiting for a month. Too much stress for you both. hugs, Sandy

Lolly
09-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Yes, glad you aren't going to take a "wait and see" on this. I have a friend who's husband is just now celebrating his 5 year mark since treatment for BC...hard lump in the breast(don't know exact location) was the red flag, and they credit his survival with early diagnosis, not waiting to see if it changed but getting to a doc pronto and having all the necessary tests to get a diagnosis.

<3 Lolly

Sheila
09-23-2006, 04:54 AM
Montana
Hopefully it will be a benign cyst or gynomastia, whic is also common in men and presents itself under the nipple....I know several men who have had this, surgical removal took care of it with no further treatment. You are right to demand this gets checked....good for you!!!! You know the importance!

SusanV
09-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Montana,

Just wanted to see how you made out with your hubby.

Thinking of You

Christine
09-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Montana
It is uncommom for men to have Breast cancer, but I believe where there's a lump any where in the breast it should be evaluated.

Christine
09-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Montana
There is a small chance the lump can be CANCER, OR MAYBE A CYST OR FATTY TISSUE; BUT GETTING HIM TO AN SURGEN TO GET A dx is the best way to know. He should also F/up with a PSA tosee about his prostrate health. Men whose family have had cancers should check for prostrate CA.
Always be cautios. Wishing your hubby well,
Christine

Montana
09-26-2006, 12:01 PM
He had a mamogram and an ultrasound yesterday. The radiologist believes the lump is benign, thank goodness. He will have to have it out to be certain, otherwise the radiologist said he'd have to yearly mamograms....so we know that's not gonna happen, LOL. It was hard enough getting him in there in the first place! We are leaving on vacation October 7th so we are trying to schedule the excision before then as we'll be gone until mid-November.

He has yearly checkups at the VA and they do the PSA test.

Thanks to all that responded...you are much appreciated as always.

Sue

tousled1
09-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Sue,

Glad to hear that they do not think it is bc. You were right in insisting that they do a mammo now and not take the attitude of let's wait and see.