PDA

View Full Version : need advice for pre-menop ovary suppression

alicecallahan
09-20-2006, 07:18 AM
I was 47 at thime of dx, very regular periods, ER+PR positive, my onc
has been doing hormone levels evry 3 months since my periods stopped after my 2nd round of A/C and ita apperared that i was indeed post menop. Now, a year later, 9 months into herceptin and on tamox, then arimidex, my estradiol level has jumped into the premonopausal arena, I have been told to stop the arimidex, and am going to be talking to doc about surgical removal vs. injections to stop them....I am so shocked that my ovaries have started producing estrogen again, at my age...anybody else with similar stories who can offer advice ??

janet/FL
09-20-2006, 01:23 PM
No advice, but it reminds me that in the movie, Jurassic Park, they said, "Life will find its way."
If you want help with anything having to do with the actural surgery, then I would strongly recommend the Hysterlist on Yahoo moderated by Dorie.
Janet

tricia keegan
09-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi I have heard of this happening to other's. I'm 47 dx last year and triple positive and decided to have my ovaries removed.The op was fine and done the same day and I now take Arimidex.I got some good advice on hystersisters.com so you may want to check it out.I did'nt like the idea my ovaries may start producing estrogen again someday so just decided to go the permanent route which I don't regret.Good luck with your decision!
Tricia

Becky
09-20-2006, 03:02 PM
This is exactly what happened to me last year except I actually got my period. I had to stop the Arimidex immediately. I had only taken a couple of the weekly Herceptin treatments. I was 46. I got my ovaries removed about 3 weeks later then resumed the Arimidex a couple of weeks after that. I really wanted to get the ovaries removed because I am only ER+ and tamoxifen tends to work better if you are both ER and PR positive.
Kind regards

Becky

alicecallahan
09-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Janet--i LOVE the J P quote....

alicecallahan
09-20-2006, 03:22 PM
thanks so much for the info

alicecallahan
09-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Becky thank you for the info....

sassy
09-20-2006, 08:21 PM
I was 45 at time of dx, 47 now, triple positive. Chemo put me into menopause and I have been taking Lupron shots for 10 months to insure that I stay that way. All bloodwork confirms complete menopausal status, but onc will continue Lupron for another year.

Neither my surgeon, nor my onc were in favor of removing ovaries, preferred Lurpon instead. Other health factors may have played a part in their determination for me.
________
Vaporizer Reviews (http://vaporizers.tv/)