PDA

View Full Version : Navelbine And Herceptin

vickie h
09-19-2006, 06:38 AM
hAVE ANY OF YOU BEEN ON NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN VERY LONG? i AM GOING INTO MY 6TH WEEK (OUT OF SIX MONTHS) AND AM HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME. NEUPOGEN SHOTS FOR 3 DAYS AFTER EACH TREATMENT, NAUSEA, DIARHEA, AND SOME DEPRESSION. ALSO A LOSS OF STRGNTH AND LOTS OF FATIGUE. IS THIS PRETTY NORMAL AND DOES THAT GET ANY BETTER? i AMSTAGE 4 ER/PR HER2 -. i AM IN YEAR 3 NOW. ANY INFO WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT, VICKIE H

geraldine
09-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Hi Vickie, Your question was asked just recently..

Check Frankie/evelyns thread posted on 9/14/06. I'm sure you will find all the answers you need in that thread.

God Bless
Geraldine

vickie h
09-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Thank you Geraldine, I am grateful for your reply and will check that out. I have posted some questions and no one has ever replied to me. I again thank you so much for your kindness. Love, Vickie H

jhandley
09-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi Vicki
You may find it helpful to take some reishi mushroom extract..it will raise your white blood count and research shows it also helps the herceptin work better. Wait for 24 hours after chemo before taking it. I use Astra Forte which is reishi plus astralagus..it is called Immune Support and is made by Greenridge. I did this all through my 5 months of taxol and had no problems with WBC..(in fact my onc said my bloodwork was beautiful).
Regards
Jackie

Lolly
09-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi Vicki,

I've had Navelbine/Herceptin for 3 recurrences now, starting back in 2001. I always had trouble with my counts, and my onc would cut the Navelbine in half when my counts didn't come up high enough; by the next infusion I'd be able to receive a full dose. I did have to have Aranesp this last spring, to raise my red counts as I was really low for awhile. Nausea was kept in check with Zofran IV before infusion, then pills at home for a few days until the nausea abated. So yes, I think your "Navelbine Blues" sound pretty familiar. I can't say it gets better, one just learns to manage the side effects. Keep your nurses informed and they will be a great help in keeping you on a more or less even keel while you get through the 6 months.
Congratulations on being such a survivor! You're in good company here:)

<3 Lolly

vickie h
09-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Thank You so much, Lolly and Jackie,

I feel better already just hearing from you. I am getting the treatment weekly, 3 weeks on one week off. I have Neupogen shots at home for 3 days after treatment and today is the 7th day and I feel so much better. Just hearing from you and getting your support makes a world of difference. Sometimes I feel so cut Off from the world I used to be in and then depression sets in. But today is glorious and I thank God for people like you who truly care. You have made a difference and I feel blessed to have you in my life. Many Hugs and much love to you always, Vickie H

Joy
09-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey Vickie,

I just stared navelbine with my herceptin for crazed liver mets that I have had for over 4 years. I have found it very tolerable, some neuropathy, but I just did 8 mos. of taxol/carbo so who knows what is what.

Anyway, I have had 4 weekly tx so far and for the last week i have been SO blue. Tears just don't stop. I did also get a period and had total PMS, but the tears still won't stop, so now I'm wondering if this is related to the navelbine. I din't write you to talk about me, just to let you know that there is another person with blues on this drug and that I am thinking of you and praying that this combination works great for you. Better get something out of it, huh?

Love to you

vickie h
09-20-2006, 06:50 PM
HI Joy, I wa so glad to hear from you and know that someone else is going through some of the same symptoms. I have this week off (only Herceptin) and I feel great today. I have had 5 Navelbine treatments so far, I had to skip one week because I had no neutrophils. Now I get treatments and have shots of neupogen everyday for three days after each treatment. I have a little bit of numbness already the left sole of my foot, but not bad. I was on Taxol, Taxotere for 1 1/2 years before going onto Avastin/Herceptin for 1 year and then my PET scan showed spreading across my lymph nodes in my chest and tracheal area. The Navelbine is much better than the Taxol or Taxotere. I will pray for your healing, you sound like such a survivor, and I will let you know how things go. Please let me know how you're doing also. I send you many hugs and sisterhood love, we are all one in this. May God bless you and keep you safe, Love, Vickie H

Susan2
09-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi,

I did Navelbine / Herceptin the fall of 2005. My counts dropped as well, so they lowered the dosage. That helped but I certainly looked forward to the week off. I drank a lot of green tea and slept a lot.

Best of everything,
Susan

vickie h
09-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks Susan, I also drink green tea and have been sleeping more (during the day) but awake more at night. Today I just had Herceptin and went and visited with my grandchildren, it was fun, though I am exhausted. The depression is better and I have more energy this week. Next week-end my oldest daughter is getting married, so we are in for lots of activities---hope I can keep up! Love and prayers to you, Vickie H