PDA

View Full Version : cold cap

JREPO
09-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Has anyone had an experience using a cold cap during chemo?

Christine MH-UK
09-18-2006, 11:44 AM
I had scalp cooling on the anthracycline part of my chemo, but not on the taxotere bit because the time when I would have to wear it was too long. In the end, I didn't lose my hair on taxotere anyway.

Besides the discomfort, the other possible consideration is that it should not be used with stage IV cancer, since there is some evidence of increased scalp mets with its use at that stage.

Frank&evelyn
09-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi there,

I was quite interested for your question and I did some research some time ago.

My wife Evelyn already went through a lot of chemo/combination therapies. When she was treated with Herceptin/Taxotere again I asked our oncologist about scalp cooling. Although it is not proven to help, some hospitals use it to reduce hairloss.

That time I fabricated a "helmet" like scalp cooler made out of flexible, gel-filled, wine coolers and some power tape.

With our next appointment with onc. I discussed if he had any objection about my plan.

He did not have any objection, as long as it only cooled the hair area and not passing the hairline. So NOT cooling the neck area.

Evelyn used it during her Taxotere infusions and although - of course - her hair was getting thinner, she didn't really loose her hair. I have to mention with this, that Evelyn always washed her hair very gently, don't rub it with a towel, and she didn't brush it as well. Just treat the hair very gently.

If the scalp cooling is the reason that she didn't loose her hair, I have no proof for that.

The only thing I can say, what ever you do, ALWAYS discuss it with your oncologist.

Another thing is: NOBODY responds the same way to chemo's!

We'll be thinking about you and let us know how you are doing.

Take care and God bless you!

Frank&evelyn

JREPO
09-18-2006, 01:20 PM
thank you for the info
and thank you Christine also