PDA

View Full Version : Calcifications I Need Help

MCS
09-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I did my annual mammogram on the "good" left breast and they found "stable" calcifications.

Now, on my "bad" right breast, calcifications were the culprit for my cancer in 2005.

Radiologist did not take extra pictures, did not do ultrasound, did not tell me where located and get this, they lost the 2005 pictures and did a horrible, short palpable of the breast. Did not even give me a treatment plan of coming back in 3 or 6 months

I did do an MRI also but I know it will not pick up the calcifications until they are a lot bigger. When it's too late?!

In 2004, a needle bipsy was done on my bad breast and returned negative. I have always believed that it should have been biopsied then, not just with a needle. I understand that benign calsifications can overlap malignant ones and not be seen on the mammo. True?

I'm trying to stay calm. Actually I'm quite angry at the radiologist. Here's my plan of action.

ask for an ultrsound

ask radiologist if I'm her2 and gr 3, why should i wait for these things to go bad again?

ask for a second opinion

ask onc where to go from here. are these things controlled because i'm on herceptin and what happens when it stops

ask for prophalaptic removal of the good breast? i know it can go to other parts but at least there would be one less spot to recurr. I don't know if insurance covers? Does anyone of you have had this?

why wasn't i told of this calcification last year when i was dx. i could have decided then to remove the other breast and save all this hassle

Please let me know what else to do and if have experienced this..

Sometimes I feel like no one is really managing my illness but I'm using web to research what to do next. Yet I go to onc office where one of them sits on the fda approval board for breast cancer drugs !

thanks a million to all

MCS ( maria)

PatS
09-14-2006, 02:24 PM
My understanding is that calcifications are commonly found in the breast and most are benign. It's when they're a certain shape and form a certain pattern that they are suspicious. Biopsies aren't usually done unless the calcifications appear suspicious. At my first mammo of my good breast after completing treatment they did find suspicious cacifications and did a stereotactic biopsy with proved negative/benign. If you aren't comfortable with what is happening I would talk to your onc and/or the radiologist and get them to explain why they don't feel the calcifications need followup.

Here's a link that helps explain calcifications:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-cancer/AN00049

Take care,
Pat

RobinP
09-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Take a deep breath and get a second opionion by a radiologist that only does breast radiology. Perhaps this may be at a major cancer center. Ask lots of questions, like you posted. If the second opinion gives you the opportunity to biopsy now or later, I would do now. I have heard of many cases where they say may biopsy now or repeat mammogram in three to six months. I never understood why anyone would suggest or want to delay a diagnosis. Of course, also remember to get a couple of pathology opinions too on the biopsy, if it is done, so no mistakes are made.Good luck.

Bev
09-14-2006, 06:44 PM
I would be upset about the lost films. On the ultrsounds, my inpression was they were used to confirm whether a lump was solid or a fluid filled cyst. So I don't know what role they play with the calcifications. Follow everyone's great advice. Hope it's nothing. BB

Becky
09-14-2006, 07:09 PM
What really matters most about calcifications is if they are clustered. Especially clustered microcalcifications. Just dots of calcifications but not clustered are common and they can be "just you". Clustering changes everything according to my surgeon.

Kind regards

Becky

kristen
09-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi Maria,
I had microcalcifications. The radiologist from where I had my mammogram done, told me 80% of the time they are nothing but benign. When I went and saw my breast surgeon she told me she didn't think it was anything, gave me 90%.

Where I had my biopsy done, was a breast center and he told me when he looked at my films that he gave me 50/50.

If you didn't get this done at breast ctr. I would recommend getting a second opinion just like Robin stated. Hope it turns out to be just calcifications and nothing more.

StephN
09-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Dear Maria -
I can understand your great concern. I have head a lot about calcifications, but never had them and did not bother to learn much about them.

My last mammogram showed them in my left "good" breast. This is the first time. I have been boosting my calcium intake and this may have something to do with it. The explanation I was given by the tech was that mine were like small polka dots and these are the benign kind in the vast majority of cases.

Also since I am on Herceptin indefinitely they are not too worried. My plan is to mention it at my next med onc visit and see if I should have a mammo sooner than annual.

Ask more questions until you are satisfied.