PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy Spells

Cathya
09-14-2006, 02:10 AM
Hi;

I started back on herceptin two weeks ago and go for my third weekly treatment today....Thursday. During the last week I have had half a dozen dizzy spells and wonder if this could be the herceptin. I am going to call my onc today and am worried sick about brain mets but could it be anything else? Just wondering .....

Cathy

RhondaH
09-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Here are links that may be of interest to you. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21204&highlight=dizzy+rhonda

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21360&highlight=dizzy+rhonda

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22766&highlight=dizzy+rhonda

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23696&highlight=dizzy+rhonda

Cathya
09-14-2006, 02:45 AM
Rhonda;

Thank you. I am so relieved to think it could be the herceptin. I actually get so dizzy I almost fall over....it's very strange and definitely a new symptom for me. I'll mention it to the nurses in the chemo room today and see what they say.

Thanks,

Cathy

mts
09-14-2006, 05:10 AM
Are you taking anything else? I had major dizziness when I forgot to take my Effexor...
Maria

Becky
09-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Cathy

Herceptin just exhausts me, sometimes so much that I feel nauseous (and it can last almost a week which is why I switched to the every 3 week (I know you can't because of the potential heart problems)). I am home from work today because I am just too exhausted. I will say I have just one left. My ECHO is at 50-55 and it started in early June 2005 at 65-70. My onc said the last one was 55-60 so he just said -"lets finish up with the next one" which is my last one. I think he was hinting to me to not ask for the full 2nd year (I am getting 5 extras beyond a year) but I wouldn't because I am very commited that the extra 5 take me to 2 yrs beyond diagnosis and that is a logical and good thing.

So... do I think it can be the Herceptin, yes I do. If it persists, get it checked out to be safe but I think your brain MRI would be clean anyway.

Big hug to you

Becky

MJo
09-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Becky -- I am also tired for a week after Herceptin, and I also have mild nausea. The oncologist says Herceptin doesn't cause nausea (Hah!) so of course I worried that the cancer had returned. My boss who got diagnosed at the same time I did also has mild nausea after Herceptin.

Cathya -- I don't know why you are dizzy, but posssibly it's Herceptin.

Wouldn't it be nice if all the oncology doctors and nurses took a dose of every drug their patients get. Boy would they be surprised at all the side effects they now claim can't be happening. MJO

Hopeful
09-14-2006, 04:59 PM
MJo, After I read your post, I pulled out my copy of the consent form my onc had me sign before we started treatment, which stated the major side effects of Herceptin. Nausea and vomiting were on the top of the list, followed by diarrhea, which "may be severe."

Hopeful

Bev
09-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Hi Cathy, Anemia will also make you dizzy. I haven't heard of a correlation of herceptin and anemia, but it's an easy one to check for. BB

Cathya
09-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Hi all;

I went to the hospital for my weekly herceptin yesterday and mentioned the dizzy spells to the lovely nurse there. She told the on call doctor and we talked about it. He looked at my last cat scan and I told him my heart test was today so we agreed that we should monitor the situation for the next couple of weeks and if there was no resolution get another cat scan. He was great and I must say it was good for me that I totally understood all the possibilities which really reduces the overall stress of the situation....for both of us I'm sure. Working like a well oiled team....it's the best.

Cathy

MJo
09-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Hopeful....

When I was first diagnosed and learned about the drugs I'd be taking, I looked up all the drug information and scared myself to death about side effects. So I stopped reading about the drugs. I've been depending on the oncologist and this board for information. I think I will start reading the drug info again. I'm missing a lot of necessary info. My biggest concern is the cough, which could be due to arimidex. I can't imagine five years of this cough.