PDA

View Full Version : What did you experience with Herceptin-Navelbine combo

Frank&evelyn
09-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi there,

It's been a while ago since I last posted, and I forgot my password. So I just registered again.
Maybe some of you remember Evelyn, my wife, who is IBC patient.
Although still doing quite well, she started Herceptin-Navelbine (vinoralbine) last Thursday September 7, 2006.
Although not posting to this site, I still check this site almost every day.
Take it from me, I didn't forget about you.
When I pray, it's not only for Evelyn, but I include all of you!

My question is, to those who have had Herceptin-Navelbine (specially IBC patients with skin involvement), did you also experience a prickling/painfull feeling at the sites of tumor/metastases?
I think it indicates that it is working and I will check of course with the doctor/oncology nurse. Your experience, however, is ever so valuable.

I'm sure I'll get some replies, because you are all such wonderfull people!
Thanks, and God bless you.

Frank

Lolly
09-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Hello Frank, how nice to hear from you again, although sorry to hear Evelyn has to start a new regimen. However, Navelbine is usually quite effective with Herceptin, in my experience. My first recurrence, although I don't have IBC, did include some skin invlovement in the form of small tumors just under the skin in the scar line; with my very first infusion I felt a general pain in the whole left side where I'd had my mastectomy, and also sharp pain in my shoulder blade and arm. By the second or third day those skin nodules were reddened and I could feel small shooting pains, where before they had been entirely painless. Also, a mole just above the scar line became reddened and the skin around it actually blistered, later peeling. By the third week(I was on weekly infusions) the skin nodules were gone, the mole had returned to normal, and I had no more pain. But I did develop stomach issues while on Navelbine, and began Prilosec, which I stilll take daily even though not on Navelbine at this time.
I think Evelyn's response is encouraging! Please keep us posted, and take care.

<3 Lolly

peytons mom
09-13-2006, 01:03 PM
I have been on this combo of herceptin/ navelbine now off and on since Jan. I didn't have pain in the site which was my liver, but I had these weird shooting pains thoughout my shoulder and a pain in my jaw on day 2 and 3. I don't have these now.Otherwise, it's working and I have fatigue day 2 and 3.
Good Luck!

Peytons Mom

mamacze
09-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Dear Frank,
A warm welcome back to you (and Evelyn)! I am sorry to hear Evelyn is moving on to another chemo regiman, but if you have to have one, navelbine is too bad. I remember my first week on navelbine, I had some stomach issues; pain, nausea, diarrhea; but that eased over time. I had VERY weak joints (knees especially) and very tired, especially doing stairs. I also had many shooting pains, at the incision site, and in my lungs. All were good signs as my followup scans were good and I have been NED since Nove of 2004.
Give Ev a warm hug from us and please keep us posted on how she does.
Love Kim from CT

Shell
09-14-2006, 05:02 AM
Frank-

I had hercepetin/navelbine, and it wasn't that bad. I didn't have the individualized pain others mentioned, except the knee joint achiness, but I had just finished taxotere so it could have been that. The only symptom I remember was low counts, so have Evelyn be diligent about avoiding germs and germy people...

Shell

pattyz
09-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Frank,

When I was on Navelbine/Herceptin (successfully!!) I had sharp shooting pains to my trunk area. My mets were to mediastinal nodes, spot on lung and pelvis. It is not an uncommon side effect, which we believe is indeed to areas with cancer. I also had the jaw pain. None of these pains lasted more than for a few days after each infusion for me. They became less intense, shorter lived with subsequent tx's.

Hope this is the case for your Evelyn, as well.

I was dx'd in Jan. 2000 with Invasive and Inflammatory, Stage IIIb.

Hoping for good long response,
warm wishes,
pattyz

geraldine
09-14-2006, 06:47 PM
I had secondary bc on the chest wall and was given herceptin/vinoralbine. I did suffer the effects you mentioned but they disappeared after a few days. Two weeks into my treatment, there was a noticable shrinking in my tumor. This was 2 yrs 9mths ago and I am now on herceptin only. The oncs were delighted with my success and I have never looked back..
I am really sorry to hear your wife has to go through it all again but this combo is the best and I pray she will have the same results as myself.
Please keep us posted.

God Bless and take care
Geraldine

chrisy
09-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi Frank,

The pain at the tumor site could also be from the Herceptin. I have had that, and did see that as a listed side effect.