PDA

View Full Version : For those of you worried about Herceptin weight gain

Jamie
09-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi,
I finally finished my Herceptin treatments on June 6th. I was taking Herceptin by itself for 1 full year. Like many of us, I gained 5-7 pounds within 3 months of starting Herceptin. This was after already gaining approx. 7 pounds from chemo, etc. I am happy to say that after completing my Herceptin treatments, the weight came off me very quickly with little effort. Last week on my post 3 month visit to my oncologist I discovered that I had dropped 7 pounds. I know that weight gain is not listed as a side effect for Herceptin but I truly feel that it should be and that the weight will come off once Herceptin treatments are finished.

Yorkiegirl
09-12-2006, 08:53 PM
I am so glad to hear this. I have only been finished with Herceptin for two weeks now, and I just HOPE my extra weight drops as well.

Yes, I agree with you that weight gain should be lised as a side effect.

RhondaH
09-13-2006, 02:26 AM
I've noticed that it's gotten easier for me too (my last Herceptin was 8/10) and my diet hasn't changed (this is ULTRA healthy) so I'm starting to wonder it it was the Herceptin. Take care.

Rhonda

Mary Jo
09-13-2006, 05:45 AM
HI Rhonda,

I have 2 more herceptin treatments to go and I too would like to lose about 8 pounds (10 would be nicer - LOL). I've been exercising (as I had been throughout chemo) and eating healthier than I ever did and not dropping much at all. An occasional pound or so and then it goes back on. So, I'm hoping that when my herceptin finishes up Oct. 11 that will happen to me too.

I do have some body aches and a pain under my left rib that I've had since chemo and herceptin. Not sure if it's residual from the taxol or if it's the herceptin. I feel awesome and can only pray that continues for many many years.

Hugs to all.

Mary Jo

Hopeful
09-13-2006, 06:27 AM
I was told that edema was a potential side effect from Herceptin, which makes sense, since cardiomyopathy is also a potential side effect. I think the Herceptin weight gain comes from water retention, which should quickly drop once the drug is discontinued.

Hopeful

rinaina
09-13-2006, 01:08 PM
I agree with you hopeful because last week I had swollen ankles and an extra 7lbs and the onc put me on a diuretic and poof....off came the 7lbs. So definitely I think the weight gain is from fluid retention.