PDA

View Full Version : nausea what works?

Patty H
09-12-2006, 04:51 AM
I'm having a lot of trouble with nausea this time. I have taken compezine and atiavan and this new one that is suppose to last 24 hours called anzemet. I ended up taking all three of them yesterday to no avail. The only thing that seems to help my nausea is called vomitting. That gives me a couple hour relief. The pre-med that they give me during treatment, last a couple of days. What else is out there that seem to works? This wears me out so bad. Next week is my week off, but I want to feel better now. Any sujestions? I can call in and ask for something today Patty H

MJo
09-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Do you start the anti-nausea meds two or three days before treatment? Two people I know said that helped them. MJO

Shell
09-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Patty-

what about zofran? that worked for me...

Shell

Cynthia
09-12-2006, 07:45 AM
I suggest you ask your doctor about EMEND, please see the attached site for more information http://www.chemocare.com/news/information_on_chemotherapy_and.asp

I had my first five cycles of chemo without it, and my last one with it (I believe it had just come out on the market), and it made a world of difference for me.

I wish you the very best,

Cynthia

SusanV
09-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Hope this helps....I only had mild nausa with my first chemo tx, and here are the drugs I took which helped... I am hoping they help again with my second tx on 9/25. This looks like a long list, and YES I did take all of it !

EMEND 125 mg 1 Hour Prior to the start of Chemo
Zofran 8 Mg 1 Tablet every 12 hours after Chemo
Dexamethasone 4 mg 2 Tablet every 12 hours after Chemo
Prochlorper 10 mg 1 Tablet every 6-8 hours as needed
EMEND 125 mg 1 Tablet day after Chemo
EMEND 125 mg 1 Tablet Second Day after Chemo

Thinking of You today with Love

tousled1
09-12-2006, 10:51 AM
When I was getting my A/C they gave me EMEND the day of and 2 days after and I never felt sick I'm experiencing some nausea now (from Herceptin???? since that's all I'm on) and I'm taking Phenegran which helps me a lot.

Berta
09-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Zyprexa worked for me. It made me sleepy but took away the nausea! It is normally used as an antipsychotic but I saw an onc who had just done a study using it for chemo patients to preven nausea and he gave it to me. Worked great! BERTA

doh2pa
09-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I tried Emend and it worked pretty well, but I am telling you what worked the absolute best is Marijuana. For me, it took the nausea completely away for 2 full hours ( so I could get some calories in!). Nothing else worked as well. If you can get some, give it a try. I tried the pills (Marinol) but they made me tired and did not work as well.

Mary Jo
09-12-2006, 06:27 PM
I was given Zofran and it worked for me. I was given it as a pre-med before chemo was given and had to take the night of chemo and 2 days after. Never really had a problem. Also was given compazine if I needed it. Did take a few throughout my 8 cycles of bi-weekly chemo but didn't need it much. When the A/C was over I never experienced nausea again. Taxol only caused lots of body pain.

Hugs to you.

Mary J o