PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with hair that didn't come back?

Marilyn
09-11-2006, 07:42 PM
I first had chemo in 2000 and my hair came back curly and thick. I'd had thick hair before so that wasn't a surprise--the curls were. Then I had a recurrence in 2001 and had 6 months of weekly taxotere, herceptin, and zometa. My hair got extremely thin and then a male patterned baldness appeared. I never totally lost my hair but it was bleak. I also lost my eyebrows and eyelashes. My last chemo was January of 2002. It's now September 2006 and I still have very thin hair, male pattern baldness, and my eyelashes and eyebrows are almost non existant. Does anyone else out there have this problem?

Cathya
09-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Marilyn;

I didn't have that problem but have only been on AC and Taxol. I have a friend who had AC Taxotere and although her hair came back she has a bald spot like men get. The hair is very thin over it so it shows. Her chemo ended over a year ago and she is still waiting for it to fill in.

Cathy

Marilyn
09-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Cathy--Thank you so much for your response. I have always wondered if it was the Herceptin or the Taxotere that causes my hair not to fill in. Has your friend been on Herceptin at all? My hair is filling in but so slowly that maybe in another 5 years I'll have a head of hair. I've heard other women on Herceptin mention slow hair growth and my hair grew really slowly for a long time but the pace has picked up a little so maybe there is still hope. Marilyn

Lisa
09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Since WBR, me and others I know lost our hair without return. With my first 2 chemo hair loss treatments, it grew back beautifully. But not now. THE WBR was 2 years ago. I suppose Male Pattern Baldness is the best way to describe it. So I shave it, hat it, ignore it or forget about it.

Love and light,

Lisa

Cathya
09-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Marilyn;

My friend is Her2- and so has never taken herceptin. It definitely was the taxotere that gave her the bald spot. She is happy and ignores it though....she had IBC and is trilled to be healthy at this point.

Cathy

Marilyn
09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm thrilled to be ok too but curious about what is causing my hair to be so sluggish. I wear wigs and to be honest after this amount of time I'm not sure I'd remember how to fix my hair! I can get ready in no time. It's interesting that we both had Taxotere. I'm guessing that it's our body's reaction to the drug. Thank you so much for filling me in!