PDA

View Full Version : looking for WBR survivors

nvsavin
09-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi there everyone. I just wanted to hear from some of you who've survived WBR. How many years has it been and what side effects are you experiencing. I just would like to hear that it's not hopeless and that many of you are managing your side effects, if any. Basically, the neurosurgeon told my mother, who had WBR over 1 1/2 years ago, that her symptoms now (some memory loss and confusion, etc.) are progressive and that most people who survive the cancer die from the WBR. This can't always be true!

chrisy
09-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Christine Druther, the founder of this website, had WBR over 7 years ago I think. I'm sure she will respond if she sees this post.
There is always hope.

Christine
09-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Chrisy,

Short term memory loss is a common long term side effect of WBR. You may wish to contact Dr. Edward Shaw of Wake Forrest University in North carolina who has been doing considerable research into treating memory loss in patients who had received WBR. He is also a recognized authority on wbr. Mention my name to him as we had a lenghty discussion last June at ASCO.

My memory seems to be improving lately.

I also suffered from a rare side effect called radiation retinopathy which affected my vision.

I was treated with WBR in the spring of 2000 - 7 years ago and have been in excellent health.

email me if you wish for me to talk to you or your Mom

Hugs and wishing your Mother well.

Christine