PDA

View Full Version : I'm Grateful My Hair Is Growing----but It Is So Dry

LOPSIDED
09-09-2006, 06:47 PM
I THINK CHEMO HAS DAMAGED MY HAIR. I NEVER HAD DRY HAIR BEFORE, I ACTUALLY PUT BABY OIL ON MY HAIR TODAY AND AFTER A WHILE I DID A MOISTURIZER TREATMENT. IT DOES FEEL A LITTLE BETTER BUT I WOULD LOVE ANY SUGGESTIONS. MY HAIR IS STILL VERY SHORT AND I STILL WEAR A WIG WHEN I GO OUT BUT IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANYTHING I CAN DO TO GET MY HAIR IN BETTER CONDITION ---PLEASE POST.

Margerie
09-09-2006, 08:02 PM
My sister got me some of the Nioxin products. I took the supplements for a month and my hair was fine, but not terribly dry when it first started growing. I have heard taking fish oil caps help also.

A friend described her new post-chemo hair as "crispy." She skipped shampooing every day. She would apply conditioner every day and not rinse it out completely.

I think the first couple of months out of chemo, your hair follicles aren't up to the challenge of growing super-healthy hair. I called myself "Wilson" (after the tennis ball) when my hair started coming in. It took about 3 months, now the hair is almost as thick as before.

sassy
09-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Shelia,

After my mastectomy surgery, my surgeon recommended that I put coco butter on the scar every day. Soon I was using it to moisturize all over by body, including my face and bald head! Chemo really caused dry itchy skin all over. I continued putting coco butter on my head as my hair started to grow and it seemed to help the dry feeling of my scalp and my hair.
________
teen girl Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/teen-girls/)

Liz J.
09-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Hi Sheila,

I can't believe I am doing the same thing as Marjorie's friend. I use conditioner sometimes instead of shampoo and don't wash it out completely. Although I am one year out of chemo this month, my hair is still very dry. The conditioner helps so much. No particular brand. Just like shampooing, it seems that if you switch brands every other day or so and go back and forth you get better results.

R.B.
09-10-2006, 04:36 AM
Increasing levels of omega threes including long chain eg DHA is often reported to improve hair quality dryness.

Please see posts on omega threes and sixes and the need to balance by clicking on search above and entering a search term.

The Greek Diet thread is possibly a good place to start.

Please talk to your advisors about any significant change to diet.

RB