PDA

View Full Version : Essential Reading

R.B.
05-20-2006, 03:36 PM
This is a review on the role of fats in cancer.

PLEASE PLEASE take the time to have a look at it.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/79/6/935

It explains some current thinking on why the type of fat you eat may be implicated in cancer.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/vol79/issue6/images/large/znu0060401780002.jpeg

It brings a huge amount of information together in one place. It is the most comprehensive overview I have found to date.

My suggestion is print it out and go back to it occasionally.

It does not matter if you don't understand the technical detail, {each area is almost an area of study in its own right - I have read round the subject quite a lot and I dont pretend to understand more than some surface jist - but like your car you dont need to know how it works, just how to operate it}

If you think fats are in any way simple check out table one - click on it to make it bigger.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/vol79/issue6/images/large/znu0060401780001.jpeg

In addition to these direct pathways I have seen articles on a host of other pathways PPARs, Leptin, Insulin.......... that link to cancers...........by which fats act directly or indirectly in the regulation of things that regulate things that relate to cancer......... It is hugely complex - every door you open simply seems to lead onto more, or back to one you have already opened but heading in a different direction..

But like your car you just have to worry about what you put in, how you drive it and what comes out the exhaust, which is rather simpler. (except the garages have not yet worked out how it all works and only have a fairly rudamentary repair kit)

Balancing your omega threes and sixes comes with limited side effects, is generally recognised to contribute to health, and surely if there is even a significant chance it may help reduce the chance of occurence or reoccurence has to be worth at least considering.

If somebody tells you it wont make any difference ask them to read this.

Please discuss major dietary changes with your advisors.

RB

DeborahNC
05-20-2006, 05:04 PM
I wish I could find a study I read recently on cancer protection in the Japanese after Hiroshima. The investigators felt the populace received protection through the amount of iodine received through consumption of seaweed.

Thanks for this article. I've switched from flax to salmon oil, but continuing ground flax seed in morning cereal.

R.B.
05-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Seaweed is not something I have looked at specifically but is a good source of minerals, and some varieties contain long chain omega threes and probably lots of other things to.

From a very vague recollection adequate iodine intake stops the body taking up radioactive substances that it takes in if iodine deficient, or to particular glands including the thyroid where radioactivity does particular damage. I have not looked at this and my recollection is vague.

The Japanese had traditionally low rates of BC which have increased as they switched to more western diets, and those who moved to the US and changed diet are reported as having moved to US BC rates.

RB