PDA

View Full Version : suppliments again

al from Canada
05-19-2006, 10:02 PM
as a result of suppliment questions I will post this again. It is getting old so (Lani), we may have to update our facts

To all the crusaders out there:

It is very tough coming up with a supplement regime that will be truly complimentary however, here is a list of suppliments that we have found useful:

Rhodiola is one herb that I feel needs further investigation. Linda and I both take it 2Xday. It has proven adaptogen properties as well as (chemo-support and anti-cancer actions). It doesn't have all the negative side efects that Ginseng does, such as high blood pressure, nervousness etc. That being said, the siberian species of the herb is the most potent. We buy ours at www.iherb.com (http://www.iherb.com/)

Rhodiola Rosea: anti-tumor, energy, physical support. For a great article on Rhoiola: http://rhodiolarosea.org/HerbGrams-2002.pdf

IP6: Including indosol, has a proven anti-cancer track record, particularily for liver mets

CO-Q10: excellent for the heart, good synergy with herceptin for cardio functions. Studies have shown anti-tumor properties above 345 mg.

Vitamin D: help uptake of calcium for bones (due to damage caused by chemo)

Gluta Kola: has anti-tumor properties

Melatonin: help sleep, reset biolical clock, anti-tumor actions

Curcumin: synergistic with herceptin, anti-tumor properties, careful using this during chemo as it is a stong anti-oxident

Flaxseed oil: this one contains 145 mg. oleoic acid, very potent anti-tumor and pro-herceptin through HER2 pathway

Celebrex: 100 mg 2X day, COX inhibitor

Please note that current thought suggests limiting any anti-oxident supplimentation DURING chemo. These would include Curcumin, CO-Q10, Flaxseed oils etc. There are also phyto-estrogenic compounds such as reservatol, flaxseed oils, borage, etc you must balance if you are est ++
One of the best Est+ fighters is 13C and DIM (the metabolite). Studies have shown that co-administration of tamoxifen and 13C is VERY synergistic! Caution about 13C, if you live in a region high in dioxins, best not to take it as it helps receptor binding of dioxin.

Maryanne
05-20-2006, 04:55 AM
Getting Old???

Maybe we should start a new thread on this very subject just as we have with "who we are" and "how we got here". threads....

It would save so much time when researching as well as for all the new members coming on. Those of us that already posted our supplements can just copy and paste on this thread.

Good Idea???????????

Barbara
05-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Al:

I take many of the supplements you list. However, when on Herceptin only I have had low red and white counts. I have refused the red cell stimulant injections but I wonder if it would be OK to take iron alone or in a multi-vitamin. The anemia is leaving me more tired and light headed. I read a couple of medical articles that indicated that the red cell stimulant injections (both drugs) have been associated with a progression of cancer and thereful I am afraid to accept either. Are you aware of any vallid reasons why not to take iron. Your thoughts on this would be helpful to me. (Eating food with iron has not been that effective.) Thanks.

Barb

al from Canada
05-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Dear Barbara,

You are right about the red-blood cell stimulants promoting tumor growth but sometimes it's a trade-off. There are many ways to get sick. Personally, I feel that a transfusion is safer if your blood monitoring agency is top notch. In terms of building blood, carefull with iron because if there is too much it will promote tumors in the liver. The mushroom groups; cordicyeps (sp), maitake, and the others are all known for the positive action on the blood. As well, an adaptogen like rhodiola rosia (note the rosea because there are many knids of rhodiola) and gingsene will also help blood.
good luck,
Al

Kim in CA
05-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Dear Al,

Hadn't heard about the blood boosting injections possibly stimulating tumor growth. Darn! I have had chronic problems with low red counts and do get these shots occasionallly. I will definitely be adding more mushrooms to my diet! Thanks for the heads up.

Kim in CA