PDA

View Full Version : Caelyx

clisa
05-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Hello Everyone;

My current chemo regime of xeloda, navelbine and herceptin is not showing consistent results - I seem to respond to treatment one session and then go backwards the next so my oncologist is changing my treatment to herceptin and caelyx.

This is an expensive drug that is only partially covered by my extended health plan so needless to say I am hesitant to start it as I have been on 5 different chemo regimes now with little to no results and spreading now into my spine in the last few weeks. I already have liver mets as well.

Anyways , is anyone familiar with this drug or it's side effects? Is it nauseating, will I lose my hair again ???

Thanks for any feedback or advice you can offer gang - you know I appreciate it!

Lisa

R.B.
05-18-2006, 02:52 AM
Have you looked at diet as an adjunct to try and tip the balance.

I know on face value it sounds unlikely that diet could make that much difference.

But for example a trial showed HER2 overexpression facilitiates increased fatty acid metabolism and activation of fatty acid synthesys.

HER2 inhibitors decrease that increase.

BC has been connected to COX2 and inflamatory diseases.

Omega six is a percussor of COX 2.

Omega three is a moderator.

There are lots of posts accessible on this site - click on the purple bar search above.

Of course balancing omega three and six will require significant change to most diest due to the inclusion of vegetable fats high in omega six in most processed foods.

If nothing else it should contribute to better health. If you already have explored this option please excuse me.

All significant changes in diet should be discussed with your advisors.

RB

AlaskaAngel
05-18-2006, 09:39 AM
http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=6590

Hope this helps. It is doxorubicin (which is what a lot of breast cancer patients get usually early on for treatment), but with a coating on it. Doxorubicin generally causes hair loss.

AlaskaAngel