PDA

View Full Version : TAMOXIFEN---WONDERING WHAT DOSAGE YOU WERE PRESCRIBED & SIDE EFFECTS

LOPSIDED
05-17-2006, 06:09 AM
I WAS PRESCRIBED A 20 MG TABLET TO TAKE DAILY. MY DOCTOR SAID I WOULD PROBABLY HAVE HOT FLASHES. I'M NERVOUS ABOUT TAKING TAMOXIFEN BUT I GUESS EVERYTHING YOU TAKE HAS RISKS. JUST WONDERING HOW MUCH TAMOXIFEN YOU WERE PRESCRIBED AND WHAT SIDE EFFECTS YOU NOTICED?

saleboat
05-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Hi--

I think most people are on 20mg. I have had no side-effects and just warm flushes on rare occasions.

Good luck with it.

Jen

kimber
05-17-2006, 06:38 AM
I take 10mg twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. My doctor feels it helps lessen the possibility of side effects. I must say it has. I only get a slight warm feeling every so often. Also, I have lost weight while on it. I have been on it for 5 months now. I heard such horror stories about it I was scared to death to take it. It really is the easiest part of this cancer thing. - kim

Becky
05-17-2006, 08:29 AM
When I took Tamoxifen (I am now on Arimidex), I took 20mg once a day. I had some hot flashes and I also had some minor vision problems (which is a side effect) but it did not inhibit me.

I did get uterine thickening. Since ovarian cancer also runs in my family and I am PR neg (but ER pos) and AIs work better with this pathology (and I am 46 and done with children), I had my ovaries removed in order to take an AI.

The eye and uterine problems disappeared (but not the hot flashes which were minimal with both).

Regards

Becky

cherylynnie
05-17-2006, 10:16 AM
I am on 20mg once daily. I have hot flashes and night sweats. I am 39 years old and have asked my oncologist if I should have my ovaries removed. He told me - no- that I needed them, but did not elaborate. I will ask my gyno at my next apt. I have a 15 and 11 year old and am through having children. I am er+ pr- her2+++, stage II grade III invasive duct carcinoma.