PDA

View Full Version : Sore Breast

Maree
05-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi Everyone
I had a mastectomy in 2003 followed by AC and Taxol. I am HER2 positive but have not had any herceptin. Have been NED since mastectomy. About 8 weeks ago my other breast became sore and a tiny bit swollen and i felt an enlarged lymph node under my arm. Oncology nurse said i should not wait but have a mammogram straight away. General Practitioner not overly worried but gave me referral for mammogram. I had the mamm and an ultrasound yesterday - no evidence of cancer seen. I still have the enlarged lymph node and i have swelling just below my collar bone which is also painful - not hard like a lymph node but swelling covers an area of about 4cm x 1cm. I see my oncologist on 16 June - does anyone have any suggestions for me. Maree

jsattaw
05-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi Maree --

Sorry to hear about your worries -- I know it's difficult to wait for the test results and doctor visits. But, as I must remind myself, take one day at a time -- and worry when you have something to worry about. It's easier said than done...but try to think positively.

Keep us posted and I'll be praying that it's not cancer but something else!

Stay strong.

Jill

SaraD
05-16-2006, 09:24 PM
i would strongly suggest you call your oncologist and try to get in sooner! inflamed lymph nodes may not show up on mammo or ultrasound, and skin lesions don't either. from a biostats point of view, you are statistically at the highest risk of this being cancer rather then something else. i hope it's not, but if it is, you need treatment asap. i would make sure your oncologist knows about your symptoms and i think a month is definitely too long to wait!! you have to be your own advocate as i have learned the hard way...

best of luck to you,
sara

Roz
05-17-2006, 01:52 AM
I agree with Sarah, There is nothing to be gained by waiting. Your oncologist will understand, and probably refer you for a CT scan. You can even ring him and ask his advice, (or for a CT referral) but if you get the CT scan, then you will have explored the problem thruogh a much more exact tool. It's best to act rather than wait. My onc is used to me ringing up with mystery symptoms. Its almost a month until 16/6 and you can ask for what you think will put you more at ease.

madubois63
05-17-2006, 05:57 AM
I agree with Sara and Roz - call your onc. I no longer sit and WAIT for things. You know something is NOT right, so find out what it is. It may be something and then again it may be nothing (I will pray for the later). I was told that since having cancer, everything incuding hang nails have to be checked (not really, but you get the point?). A mammo just isn't enough in our cases....