PDA

View Full Version : ANY REMEDIES FOR BONE & JOINT PAIN---BESIDES PRESCRIPTION DRUGS

LOPSIDED
05-13-2006, 07:14 PM
I STARTED HAVING BONE & JOINT PAIN ABOUT 2 WKS AFTER TAKING TAXOTERE TREATMENTS (12) AND IT SEEMS THERE IS NO END TO IT.......I START HERCEPTIN IN THREE DAYS FOR 1 YEAR WKLY TREATMENTS. I'M NOT TAKING ANY PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE EXCEPT WHAT THEY WILL GIVE ME WITH HERCEPTIN AND WOULD LIKE TO STAY THAT WAY-----JUST WONDERING ABOUT ANY REMEDIES TO HELP WITH PAIN WITHOUT TAKING PRESCRIP. DRUGS IS THERE ANYTHING BESIDES HOT SHOWERS & BATHS AND MOTRIN. I FEEL SO STIFF---LIKE I'M 120 YEARS OLD.

al from Canada
05-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Consider hypnosis or guided imagry. Could help depending on the severity. As well, COX2 inhibitors such as curcumin may help as well.

Al

Lolly
05-13-2006, 10:19 PM
I have had others attest to accupunture for relieving various aches and pains. I've never tried it myself, my ins. doesn't cover, but my daughter has had treatments for chronic neck pain and it's helped.

tousled1
05-14-2006, 12:08 PM
My neurologist recommended glucosamine (spelling??) which you can get over the counter. You may want to try it. It worked for me.

Sandy H
05-14-2006, 04:05 PM
I use Barlene's flaxseed oil but I am ER/PR neg. If you are positive it may not be a good idea to use it. It works great for me and I take it 3 times a day. hugs, Sandy

Bev
05-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Onc nurse said to take B-6 for taxol related pain. BB

MCS
05-14-2006, 08:16 PM
I also have joint pains. worse when I had taxol.

I was recommended to take 60mg of L glutamine in juice or any other liquid by the doc.( its a powder). You can buy pharmacy grade with a presciption of a doctor or over the counter froma reputable natural health store or nutrition center ( for example GNC)

I also added glucosamine with cronditin, which really helped. I got it without msm. Costco sells this.

Hope you feel better. I know hou you feel

XO

MCS (maria)

kat in the delta
05-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Going to an exper. massage was worth 3 bottles of pain rx.,expecially after a masc.on rt.side. Kat

cosmicdust
05-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Consider one of the complementary therapies ie. Reiki, Massage, Yoga, Meditation...I take Reiki every 2 weeks - and the person here does this free for cancer patients. You may find there are those who perform these 'complementary therapies' in your neighborhood - and be certain to ask if they have reduced or free sessions! (I pay mine every other time because she has to make a living too! and I find the sessions calming)

Ginagce
05-15-2006, 04:06 PM
I have experienced more bone and joint pain since starting Arimidex and Herceptin than I ever did on Taxol.

I find that walking is the best thing I can do for pain. I know it seems like the last thing you want to do, but it does help a great deal.

I also use a supplement called Move Free. It is a combination of glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM. I showed this to my Onc who said it was fine to take in combination with the above.

And, I also have a GIM (guided imagery with music)therapist I see every 3 weeks. He uses the "Bonnie method" and it is the most incredible tool I have ever found. As a matter of fact, I have a friend who is the Director of Stress Management at a large NCI cancer center/university here in Philadelphia who started seeing him too and she says it is one of the most healing things she has ever done!

I understand from my therapist that there are not a lot of licensed GIM therapists in this country but if you can't find one, then perhaps you could try guided imagery without music.

All the best to you,

Ginagce

R.B.
05-16-2006, 01:14 AM
Lack of omega three and omega three and six out of balance is recognised as being implicated in some inflamatory conditions.

There is a group of writers who link it to arthritis is linked as well.

There are lots of posts on the subject of fats on this site that can be accessed through clinking on search on the purple bar above.

RB

lisahammo
05-16-2006, 05:41 PM
I had terrible joint pain when I started on Taxol, but I take Glucosamine and Omega 3 Fish Oil. This seems to have worked wonders for me.

Take care

Lisa Hamilton

CherylS
05-17-2006, 05:56 AM
I just had a talk with my onc about the joint and muscle pain which has gotten so bad from Arimidex. She said to use the same L-Glutamine/B-6 combination that we used for neurophathy. Just started it, so I can't give much of a report, but hopeful that it works. If it doesn't within 6 weeks she is going to try switching me to Femara.

kat in the delta
06-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Listened to 3 talks this week. Glucosamine is good. If neuropathy is bad, a doctor said that Rx neurotin may help altho' it may make you drowsy at 1st--but, start with a low dose. A wonderful website is : "www.mskcc.org " It has official info. on all Complementary medicines, etc......Also massage therapy and this doc. said accupunture, yoga.....

kat in the delta
06-23-2006, 02:31 PM
My sister and others have said that the Femara caused a lot of joint pain, too. Now my sister takes aromasin and has not complained. Kat in the delta