PDA

View Full Version : NY Times article--definitely deserves place on this boar!

Lani
05-13-2006, 02:47 PM
There is a lot more not known than known about breast cancer. It is not popular to say it. This theme of this article obviously does not hold for her2+ ER- breast cancer and probably doesn't hold for her2+ER+ breast cancer (at least probably not for all) but the interviews with breast cancer experts are "telling":

(In addition even her2+ breast cancer patients have friends and family with her2- breast cancer that is not triple negative, who could benefit from reading this article --if it does not drive them crazy!):

Shift in Treating Breast Cancer Is Under Debate
• By GINA KOLATA
Published: May 12, 2006
Doctors who treat women with breast cancer are glimpsing the possibility of a vastly different future. After years of adding more and more to the regimen — more drugs, shorter intervals between chemotherapy sessions, higher doses, longer periods of a harsh therapy — they are now wondering whether many women could skip chemotherapy altogether.

Michael Stravato for The New York Times
Janice Baty, a mother of two children, was told by her doctor that she might not need chemotherapy. But she chose it anyway, feeling safer.
E-mail Gina Kolata at: kolata@nytimes.com

Related
Studies Challenge Traditional Breast Cancer Treatments (April 12, 2006)

Video: New Ideas on Chemotherapy

If the new ideas, supported by a recent report, are validated by large studies like two that are just beginning, the treatment of breast cancer will markedly change.
Today, national guidelines call for giving chemotherapy to almost all of the nearly 200,000 women a year whose illness is diagnosed as breast cancer. In the new approach, chemotherapy would be mostly for the 30 percent of women whose breast cancer is not fueled by estrogen.
So far the data are tantalizing, but the evidence is very new and still in flux. And even if some women with hormone-dependent tumors can skip chemotherapy, no one can yet say for sure which women they might be. Some doctors have already cut back on chemotherapy, but the advice a woman gets often depends on which doctor she sees.
It could be a decade before the new studies — one American, one European — provide any answers.
"It's a slightly uncomfortable time," said Dr. Eric P. Winer, who directs the breast oncology center at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. "Some of us feel like we have enough information to start backing off on chemotherapy in selected patients, and others are less convinced."
Among the less convinced is Dr. John H. Glick, director of the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Glick tells his patients about the new data but does not suggest they skip chemotherapy. After all, he notes, the national guidelines were based on results from large randomized clinical trials. And the recent data indicating that some women can skip chemotherapy are based on an after-the-fact analysis of selected clinical trials.
"We're in an era where evidence-based medicine should govern practice," Dr. Glick said.
For women with breast cancer, of course, the uncertainty is excruciating. Faced with a disease that already causes indecision and anxiety, they are now confronted with incomplete data, differing opinions from different doctors and a choice that can seem almost impossible: Should they give up a taxing treatment when all the answers are not in and they have what may be a fatal disease?
"If the medical profession is not even close to being of one mind, how is the woman to know?" said Donald A. Berry, a statistician at the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, the lead author of a recent paper questioning chemotherapy's benefits in many women.
Barbara Brenner, who has had breast cancer and is executive director of the advocacy group Breast Cancer Action, said, "There's a real problem," and added, "We finally tell people at the end of the day: 'You're going to get a lot of information. Trust your gut. Nobody has the answers.' "
"I'm really glad I was diagnosed 13 years ago," Ms. Brenner said, "when there were fewer choices."
Doctors worry, too. It took two years before the National Cancer Institute and its researchers could even agree on a design for the large new American study that will test the idea that many women might safely forgo chemotherapy.
The study, which starts enrolling patients at the end of this month, will involve women whose cancers are fueled by estrogen and have not spread beyond the breast. They will be randomly assigned to have the standard treatment — chemotherapy followed by a drug like tamoxifen that starves tumors of estrogen — or to skip chemotherapy and have treatment only with a drug like tamoxifen.
Unlike the American study, the one now planned in Europe will also include women whose cancer has spread beyond their breasts into nearby lymph nodes. The American study may eventually add such women, said Sheila E. Taube, who directs the cancer diagnosis program at the National Cancer Institute.
Dr. Taube said the debate reminded her of one a few decades ago, when the question was whether all women with cancer needed mastectomies or whether many could have a lumpectomy instead. "To me, the situations are analogous," she said.
The chemotherapy question starts with American and European guidelines that say almost every woman with breast cancer that has gone beyond its earliest stages, when it is confined to the milk duct, should have the treatment. And for good reason, many cancer researchers say: a series of large studies has shown that chemotherapy saves lives and that newer and more aggressive regimens are improvements over older ones.
That has led doctors to feel most at ease giving very aggressive treatments to almost everyone.
Shift in Treating Breast Cancer Is Under Debate
• PRINT
• SINGLE PAGE
• REPRINTS
• SAVE

Published: May 12, 2006
(Page 2 of 2)

"Part of it is that this area of medicine we're practicing in is kind of a high wire act," said Dr. Michael Lee, an oncologist in private practice in Norfolk, Va. "It is more comfortable to adopt things that are aggressive."
Skip to next paragraph
E-mail Gina Kolata at: kolata@nytimes.com

Related
Studies Challenge Traditional Breast Cancer Treatments (April 12, 2006)
Multimedia

Video: New Ideas on Chemotherapy

But most of those studies were done at a time when doctors did not distinguish between the 70 percent of women with breast cancers fueled by estrogen and the 30 percent whose cancers were not.
Now Dr. Berry, the M. D. Anderson statistician, and a group of leading cancer researchers have found that the chemotherapy benefits in those clinical trials were concentrated almost exclusively in women whose cancers were impervious to estrogen. For the others, with estrogen-sensitive tumors, the lifesaving benefit came from hormonal therapy. The results of the analysis, published recently in The Journal of the American Medical Association, were the same even if the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes.
The drawback of that study, Dr. Glick notes, is that it was not a large prospective randomized clinical trial, the gold standard in medicine.
There is also another issue. What if some women with estrogen-fed tumors do benefit from chemotherapy? How can they be identified?
One possibility is new genetic tests, which are part of the two studies that are about to begin. The cancer institute is using the Oncotype DX test, which includes genes associated with response to chemotherapy, among them genes involved with a cell's response to estrogen.
The study is ethical, said Dr. Larry Norton of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, because the only women whose treatment will be decided at random are those in a kind of gray area, not women for whom chemotherapy would be a clear benefit or clearly unnecessary.
"I think the clinical trial is really a superb one," Dr. Norton said. "I would like to see it go so we have definitive data."
In the meantime, some physicians, like Dr. Winer, are taking their own best shot at figuring out who really benefits from chemotherapy. He asks how sensitive the tumor is to estrogen, how aggressive a pathologist believes it is, how big it is, how much has spread to the lymph nodes and whether its surface has a type of protein, HER2, that is associated with a better response to chemotherapy. After talking through the decision with his patients, he says, he is comfortable omitting chemotherapy in some who would have had it not long ago.
Others, like Dr. Francisco J. Esteva of M. D. Anderson, use a computer program to calculate a woman's risks of recurrence and give the option of no chemotherapy only to women with low-risk cancers confined to their breasts.
Still others, like Dr. Glick, are starting to tell women with estrogen-fed cancers that although they still need chemotherapy, they may not need the most intense treatment.
And while some, including Dr. Winer, predict that the use of chemotherapy will almost certainly decline in the years ahead, for now most doctors are sticking with the current guidelines, waiting for expert advice from national panels on what to do.
"I don't know that many doctors who are comfortable giving women an option about chemotherapy," said Fran Visco, president of the National Breast Cancer Coalition, an advocacy group. "A lot of physicians talk about the data, but then they say, 'But, to be on the safe side. ...' "
Still, doctors say it is not simply that they are urging more and more chemotherapy on patients. In many cases, it is patients who want the most aggressive treatment.
"A cancer diagnosis is earth-shattering," said Dr. Lee, who has had cancer himself. "You stay up at night. You wonder. Even when you're doing well, you don't know whether to trust it."
And so, he said, "a lot of people will take a treatment even if there is a very low statistical chance that they will benefit."
That was what happened a few months ago, when Dr. Esteva told Janice Baty of Sulphur, La., a 40-year-old mother of two, that she might not need chemotherapy. After a long discussion with Ms. Baty and her husband, Dr. Esteva left them so they could decide what to do.
"My husband said, 'Look, we have two little kids,' " Ms. Baty recalled. "I called the doctor back in and said, 'We're doing the chemo.' "
Women who say they want the most aggressive treatment may not fully realize what they are asking for, said Mary Peelen, 45, of San Francisco. Ms. Peelen learned in January 2005 that she had cancer. It was small, was fed by estrogen and had spread to just two of her lymph nodes. Her oncologist was adamant: chemotherapy was her only option.
"I felt frightened and very coerced," she said. She had an aggressive regimen, suffered terribly and was left with painful nerve damage in her arms and hands that prevents movements like opening jars or using scissors and frequently makes her drop things.
Ms. Peelen feels that in a way, she just missed the revolution, perhaps one of the last women with her type of cancer who will have to suffer so much.
For now, the answers as to who should have chemotherapy are far from clear.
"I think practice should change, but it's very dicey," said Dr. Berry, of M. D. Anderson.
His colleague Dr. Esteva says it is one thing for a statistician like Dr. Berry to look at retrospective data, and another for a physician, like himself, to sit down with a patient who has to make what may be a life-or-death decision.
"It's not a perfect science," Dr. Esteva said. "A statistically small reduction in risk may be very important to some women, while for others chemotherapy is not worth it."
And so, Dr. Esteva said, he is left asking many women with early-stage breast cancer to decide what can seem like the undecidable: whether they want "to take something potentially toxic when you have a 90 percent chance of being cured without it."
"My experience ," he said, "is that more want to get chemo than not."
• « PREVIOUS PAGE12

R.B.
05-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Thought provoking.

It is an issue I have been trying to "get my head round" for some time, having tried to find stats for the various options, and noted in some instances Ablation / RT and boost, the percentage benifits for the additon of chemo were varied for regional and contra lateral, survival stats were difficult to find, add resistance, removing treatments that may be valuable in progression, the ability to see if chemo is effective on mets with spect pet, the ability of mets to evolve to a different category etc.....and your are left with many questions.

Having read this article I feel better about not having come to any conclusions.

There is from memory at least one other genetic test on the market, and I have seen mention of several others in development.

Very interesting post Lani

As always thank you for your time and goodwill.

RB

CLTann
05-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Lani and R.B.

Thanks for the posting. It is indeed very debatable on women who have a very small lesion and are classified as Stage 1 patients. I am one of those in this group. From day one, I decided that I would have mastec but refused chemo, which was indeed suggested by my onc. Looking at the statistics, the benefit gained from chemo in this broad class of Stage 1 patients is quite small, while the risks from chemo are known to be a high certainty. I accepted Arimidex and follow a nutrition/diet regimen, plus exercise to keep my resistance high. Of course, at the end of the day, this is a game of chance. Women who insisted to get the most aggressive treatments may still get mets. I do not accept the idea that high degree of aggressiveness is equivalent to the best treatment. I offered my viewpoint to my onc and he accepted it as rational and sound. Of course, if I don't do well, I have to go for the best treatment based on the data at that time. Believe me, I am keeping my fingers crossed ALL the time. I work in a large hospital as a pharmacist and have known the effects of chemo and radiation. This new review of the subject is not only timely but critical to the Stage 1 patients. There are more and more patients now in this group as early awareness is getting the awakening call. Therefore, this debate is very welcome at this time.

Ann

janet/FL
05-13-2006, 07:46 PM
As an ER/PR negative person, (9 mm tumor, node negative, Her2 +++) I turned down chemo just before the studies showed that A/C was most benifical for that type of cancer.
I did do Taxotere/Herceptin, 9 months out of diagnois. I have had enough trouble with this "lite" chemo, to feel very certain that I would have had major problems with A/C.
I certainly hope that all of this research pays off down the line. Cancer should be a thing of the past.
I do appreciate all of the studies posted and the responses to them. This is the group that has been most helpful to me in this cancer journey. I want to know what others think and have experinced.
Thanks.
Janet

Jean
05-13-2006, 08:59 PM
I am hoping that this debate over chemo will be resolved in the very near future. In the meantime - I believe that we must utilize what we have at hand at this time. Honestly, I am not comfortable with stats, since they are great if you fall into the numbers - but what if you don't? It is a devilish road for the early stagers - since it is not clear cut - but at least we are learning more about our own individual tumors and their makeup. If the ki-67 is high - that is a helpful guide to determine the aggessiveness of the tumors personality. I have read often on this site how this disease is an individual one - unique to our own bodies. With wise nutrition, supplements, exercise and if needed chemo/ or /hormonal therapy we are increaseing our odds. At the end of the day we must do all we can and then gather all the informaiton about "OUR" tumor and what it's makeup is - then decide how to rid our bodies of this unwanted devil. The "What if's - are far worse than the orginal dx."

I would like to wish all the beautiful Mother's on this site a "Wonderful and
Loving Mother' Day" - You are all Beautiful and Special!

God Bless,
Jean

R.B.
05-14-2006, 04:55 AM
An abstract from Nature Magazine.

I will try and get the whole article.

In essence re Jean's comment and individual disease

= this effectively emphasises that - differences between individuals gene expression patterns (MY lay understand note the word expression in the words of a song it aint what you got its how you do it - this is not saying we are hugely geneticlly different but that we use the ingedients in different proportions - I don't know how many ingredients that would be in cake terms!)

In respect of the question can "environment" (including food) impact on cancers

= Yes from the below a cells gene expression is amongst other things an expression of its environment. At a common sense level no surprise there (different animals survive in deserts etc), but good to see it expressed in science speak.

RB

ABSTRACT

Letters to Nature

Nature 406, 747-752 (17 August 2000) | doi:10.1038/35021093
Molecular portraits of human breast tumours

Charles M. Perou1,2, Therese Sørlie2,3, Michael B. Eisen1, Matt van de Rijn4, Stefanie S. Jeffrey5, Christian A. Rees1, Jonathan R. Pollack6, Douglas T. Ross6, Hilde Johnsen3, Lars A. Akslen7, Øystein Fluge8, Alexander Pergamenschikov1, Cheryl Williams1, Shirley X. Zhu4, Per E. Lønning9, Anne-Lise Børresen-Dale3, Patrick O. Brown6,10 and David Botstein1
Top of page

Human breast tumours are diverse in their natural history and in their responsiveness to treatments1. Variation in transcriptional programs accounts for much of the biological diversity of human cells and tumours. In each cell, signal transduction and regulatory systems transduce information from the cell's identity to its environmental status, thereby controlling the level of expression of every gene in the genome. Here we have characterized variation in gene expression patterns in a set of 65 surgical specimens of human breast tumours from 42 different individuals, using complementary DNA microarrays representing 8,102 human genes. These patterns provided a distinctive molecular portrait of each tumour. Twenty of the tumours were sampled twice, before and after a 16-week course of doxorubicin chemotherapy, and two tumours were paired with a lymph node metastasis from the same patient. Gene expression patterns in two tumour samples from the same individual were almost always more similar to each other than either was to any other sample. Sets of co-expressed genes were identified for which variation in messenger RNA levels could be related to specific features of physiological variation. The tumours could be classified into subtypes distinguished by pervasive differences in their gene expression patterns.
Top of page

1. Department of Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
2. Department of Genetics, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, N-0310 Montebello Oslo, Norway
3. Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
4. Department of Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 , USA
5. Department of Biochemistry, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
6. Department of Pathology, The Gade Institute, Haukeland University Hospital, N-5021 Bergen, Norway
7. Department of Molecular Biology, University of Bergen, N-5020 Bergen, Norway
8. Department of Oncology, Haukeland University Hospital, N-5021 Bergen, Norway
9. Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
10. These authors contributed equally to this work

Correspondence to: David Botstein1 Correspondence and requests for materials should be addressed to D.B. (e-mail: Email: botstein@genome.stanford.edu) or P.O.B. (e-mail: Email: pbrown@cmgm.stanford.edu).

Received 7 February 2000; Accepted 25 May 2000