PDA

View Full Version : Lani- Here is the details on Mom

anne
05-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi,
I just saw your post. I have been at Rehab. hosp. w. my mom. She had BC in 03/04 on right side. She was 60 at the time. Had ACT and Herceptin sequentially for 52 weeks. She had port w. no blood return for appr. 8 months, but flushed w. Heparin reg. She was takin 1 mg Coumadin, but was not v. reg. Her stroke is on left side, so ischemic on right brain. I know you are a good researcher, so please see if you can find any other causal factors. Her blood pressure was always elevated but not very much so. They are saying it is combo HTN, cholesterol and prediabetes. But stress and cancer (along w. tx.) is also in my mind. It is hard to see her go through this again. Any info would be helpful.
Anne

Cathya
05-11-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm racing out right now but just a thought.....apparently they are finding that arimidex raises cholesterol which would have added to her problems if she is hormone positive and on it.

Cathy

Lani
05-11-2006, 11:08 PM
breast cancer itself raises one's risk of blood clots

So does tamoxifen and AIs, although less so with AIs

Do you know if her stroke was a "wet" stroke due to bleeding or a "dry" stroke due to a clot--ask her doctors to answer that and/or give you a copy of her scan reports.

There are a myriad of causes of strokes and it is very hard detective work to figure out which of many predisposing factors is the real culprit. Look at Ariel Sharon of Israel--they thought the hole in his heart was the reason for his stroke and they got him ready for surgery for it and totally missed the real cause of his stroke --he developed uncontrolled bleeding. And I am certain they were not ignorant doctors or unmotivated.

Try to fixate on what you can do for your mom now to improve her situation and prevent another worse stroke. Be certain they are certain whether the stroke was wet or dry and ask them if they have a game plan to detect worsening and prevent or ameliorate it.

There are many stroke prevention centers at major university teaching hospitals--these people are usually practicing state of the art methods and
it is great to sign her on with them so they already know her if her if she experiences worsening in the future as well as seeking out the best rehab to be certain she has the best chance to recover from what has already occured. If you let us know where you are geographically, maybe some members of the board can make some recommendations.