PDA

View Full Version : Severe face rash -- Herceptin or chemo?

rockys
05-11-2006, 12:03 PM
I am writing for my sister-in-law. She just finished her last round of chemo (4 A/C and 4 Taxotere -- she is Grade III, ER+, 6.2 cm. tumor). She began Herceptin with the Taxotere. The first two rounds of Herceptin/Taxotere were OK. The last have been horrible. Fatigue, nail problems, etc. But she has developed a severe face rash. It is bright red and burns. She assumed it was from the excessive eye tearing. (We also live in Phoenix, AZ. She is doing her very best to stay out of the sun but it is hot.).

She saw her Oncologist today and he was very concerned about the rash. Said he was worried it could be from the Herceptin. He is not sure and is going to send her to UCLA for a consult.

Does this ring a bell to anyone? If it is the Herceptin, could it be dangerous (be more serious than potentially not taking the medicine)? Or, could it be the Taxotere (as we assumed all along)?

Thanks

Raquel

tricia keegan
05-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi Raquel please see my response to your post on this on the Komen site.
Tricia

juanita
05-13-2006, 07:06 AM
I she taking a steroid with it for nausea? There was a lady in my oncs office with this and they told her it was the steroid medicine she was taking.

Audrey
05-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi Raquel, I developed a severe, burning rash on my face, near my eye, shortly after starting Herceptin (several years ago). the rash turned out to be shingles, brought on by my weakened immune system from all the chemo. Apparently, if you've had chicken pox in the past, it can re-surface as shingles, especially if the immune system is compromised. The rash went away after a few miserable weeks...just something to consider as a possibility...

atdec05
05-15-2006, 05:55 AM
I had a rash on my face that developed at the start of my weekly herceptin. It did not burn though. After about 4 visits it went away.

MJo
05-15-2006, 06:38 AM
On the Johns Hopkins Ask an Expert website, several women who received Taxol wrote they got rash relief from diaper rash ointment. I'd get the odorless kind.

CPA
05-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Make sure her oncologist is pre-medicating herceptin with 50 mg Benadryl. See other posts regarding premeds.

MCS
05-19-2006, 10:10 PM
no rash. yet anyway!

But I have had these funny looking zits on my face that come and go. almost like a bug bite. I am no doc but this has to be herceptin, never had this in my life.

XOXO

MCS ( maria)