PDA

View Full Version : Does Herceptin slow hair growth?

sabpri
05-11-2006, 08:26 AM
My hair seems to be taking forever to grow in after finishing my last chemo treatment in December. It did not seem to grow at all until I finished radiation in February. It has been 3 months now and although it has grown back, it still seems unbelievably slow considering my hair used to grow so fast I had to get it cut faster than most people.

Believe me, I am thrilled to have some hair, I am just tired of it looking like GI Jane and I am discouraged that it is still so short after all this time. I noticed that my nails seem to be growing extremely slow as well, so that made me think that maybe the Herceptin is affecting my hair growth as well.

Maybe it is just like watching a pot boil and it seems like it is taking forever because I am anxious to have it back. Any one have any insights?

Thanks!
Natalie

Joe
05-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Natalie,

An educated answer would say emphatically "NO". Most standard chemotherapies destroy fast dividing cells indiscriminately, thus hair loss is common as hair cells are fast dividing.

Herceptin on the other hand, destroys nothing. It simply inhibits the signalling between HER2 cells that tell them to divide.

Warmest Regards
Joe

MCS
05-11-2006, 09:49 PM
My infusion nurse told me that herceptin would not affect my hair regrowth. That was three months ago.

But I went to get summer hats at my local hospital woman's health link and the volunteer mentioned that the herceptin patients are expereincing slower hair growth.

Guess what, my onc nurse has swtiched her tune since last week. she now says that hair is not as quick to grow back.

oh well. just be glad hair is the only thing to worry about for a moment.

XO

MCS ( maria)

Marily
05-18-2006, 01:56 AM
I am not certain about growth time because my hair has always been slow to grow, but mine seems thinner? and very fine? my Nails are slow to grow, and continue to be thin, and tear easily. 5 years on Herceptin plus now on Aromasin.
Hugs, Marily

al from Canada
05-18-2006, 05:04 AM
Be patient, slow could also mean, "better than ever"!

Al

janet/FL
05-18-2006, 05:21 AM
My hair is growing very slowly. Only 1.25 inch since going off Taxotere in November. It does seem think enough if it would just grow! Since it is curly and rather wooley, it doesnt make me look like me! My nails are very thin. I can't even open a clasp on a bracelet to put one on as my nail just splits. I certainly could be worse! Just wish my hair would GROW !
Janet

tousled1
05-18-2006, 05:38 AM
I am not on Herceptin yet, but I must say if it does slow hair growth that I would consider that a small price to pay for the benefit of the herceptin. I just finished my last round of Taxatore yesterday and I do have a little peach fuss on my head but I enjoy wearing hats. I'm just hoping that when my hair does grow back that it won't grow back under my arms or on my legs. I quite enjoy not having to shave!!

Jackie
05-18-2006, 06:07 AM
My experience with Herceptin shows slowed hair growth. I finished chemo in Nov. and continued with Herceptin. I was taken off of Herceptin in March, due to a low Muga, for 9 weeks. During that 9 weeks I saw the hair growth to really pick up especially on my legs and underarms. I went back on Herceptin 2 weeks ago and the hair growth on my legs and underarms has really slowed. I have a friend who is about month behind me in treatment with continuous treatment of Herceptin. Her hair on her head is growing alot, but she isn't seeing much hair growth on her legs and underarms. That is my 2 cents worth.

Lauriemn
05-18-2006, 06:25 AM
I believe it does slow your hair growth. I have been going to the same stylist for 25 years. I went in for a haircut last week and she commented that she thought I would have had alot more hair than I do and it does seem to be growing slower than my hair usually does. I have my last Herceptin next week, so it will be interesting to see if it starts growing faster.

Laurie

cherylynnie
05-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Are you on tamoxifen as well?

Sherryg683
05-18-2006, 02:32 PM
My friend has been on Herceptin for a year and her hair grew in fast and thick and lovely. Mine is growing on the sides but still bald looking on the top, I've only been off chemo 6 weeks though and am hoping the top will start growing some soon...sherryg683

SherryS
05-19-2006, 05:43 AM
I finished chemo in January and have had 2 doses of herceptin. The hair on my arms and legs is growing as quickly as it did before any treatments and the hair on my head is growing in at a "good" rate. It's growing in as straight and fine as it was originally, a funny white/grey colour with a darker base underneath...side are flat and want to stay that way, top up through the middle is growing straight up and won't do anything but stay upright and the back is flat and scuplted to my scalp. The woman who has herceptin the same day I do, is about 8 months ahead of me and her hair is lush and lovely -- she had it cut & styled a few weeks ago. I could do without the rapid growth on the legs and underams....

cherylynnie
05-19-2006, 09:38 AM
I finished my last chemo on the 14th of March and strangely enough my hair had started growing a little before I finished the last round of Taxotere. I started Herceptin on the 28th of March. I only have about a 1/2 inch of hair. It grew in on the back and sides much faster than the top. It is dark and grey. It has been two months since chemo now and I thought I would have more hair. I am hoping to go without the wig soon. The top finally filled in better. It is not thicker and curly like they told me it would be, unless that happens later.
At first my legs and underarms, especially the leg hair grew very slowly. But seems to be faster now, I am hoping that is a sign that the hair on my head will grow faster as well.

Have a great weekend everyone!

DeborahNC
05-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Mine is growing very slowly compared to the rate pre chemo/Herceptin. My last chemo was Jan. 19 and I still have only 1 inch all over my head. Conversely, my underarm and leg hair seems to be in a growth spurt!

chrisy
05-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Mine took forever to "get going" after chemo and on herceptin only - for about 6-8 months it grew VERY slowly. I swear I thought it was permanently stuck at about 1-2 inches. Just as I decided I liked the "spiky" look, it took off and now I have unruly hair. So, after a year I can do a funky pony tail and am actually thinking I need to cut it and go back to the spiky look - never satisfied.

So, I don't know if its the Herceptin or not, but your hair WILL grow back and probably better than ever! Hang in there.

Chris

catlin
05-19-2006, 05:04 PM
I had my last herceptin/taxol in December and have been on Herceptin only since then. My formerly wavy white hair has grown back very curly and thick but very slowly, still white. The top was the slowest of all. In fact I trimmed the sides a bit as they were sticking out while the hair on top was so thin. Now it is thick all over but I have no bangs to speak of, hair verrry short and has just gotten long enough, 1-2 inches in places, that it looks like a hairstyle. I used to cut my hair every month as it grew like a weed. I am having my last Herceptin dose in August so will see then. Fingernails are still very thin from Taxol and I keep them cut very short and use lots of hand cream and oil on them. Cannot use them to pop a soda can or anything or they will split. I think that is still the Taxol as my feet and toenails are still a wreck.

lucky4x
05-19-2006, 06:43 PM
My hair has been really thin since my first chemo sessions back in 2001, but this time, it just got a bit thinner... then the Herceptin... hair is DRY, FLYAWAY, and VERY THIN.

I don't know if its just the amount of stresses we deal with, or what ... but Hercpetin definately affects the nails and skin... so why wouldn't it affect the hair?

Maybe it is more to do with Calcium and/or magnesium? I don't know... but its working... so hair or no hair... nails or no nails.... I am pretty happy with it.

Has anyone ever tried Olive Oil on their scalp? Just wondering if the old-time remedies work.

Lucky