PDA

View Full Version : Question about when I am considered 1 year out?

sabpri
05-11-2006, 08:21 AM
I was just curious as to when the official "clock" starts in terms of how far out I am post breast cancer. For example, I was diganosed in August 2005, and finished treatments in February 2006 (other than Herceptin).

My question is, when will I be considered 1 year out - in August from time of diagnosis, or in February when I finished radiation?

Thanks so much - I have learned so much from this board. You all are wonderful!

Natalie

saleboat
05-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi Natalie--

I believe that the big Herceptin study that was released last year started clocking patients at the time of their first chemo.

Jen

Patty H
05-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I used to wonder that question too. I kept asking everyone. But it's funny now because I just automatic go by my dx date. I think once you get a few years past your dx date it's just seems to be the right date. Because I have reoccurred several times since then, it is really the only date to pick. This July will be year 6 and I am thankful to be here and feeling great. Patty H

Tami
05-11-2006, 06:01 PM
My onc said the clinical trials start the clock at the end of the last chemo treatment. For me I like to go by dx'd date because I have a tendency to remember that more easily and I like the fact that I get to count the 7 months it took for lumpectomy, node dissection and chemo.

Best
Tami

Becky
05-12-2006, 08:05 PM
If you ask enough people (or doctors) you will get a variety of answers. Many say it is the date of diagnosis (I like this one because then it boosts your years of survival by at least 6-7 months). Others say it is the date of your last active treatment (sans Herceptin as an adjuvant).

So for example, if chemo was your last active treatment, then it would be the date of your last chemo treatment. But if you needed to also have radiation after chemo, then it would be the date of your last radiation treatment.

Lastly, some say it is the date you started any active treatment (which for most of us is the date of surgery - or the date you started neo-adjuvant chemotherapy).

Best regards

Becky

al from Canada
05-12-2006, 08:57 PM
The end of last (primary) chemo makes sense because if you go by Dx date, (which I think most studies use), why does it matter because for many, the cancer has been in the breats for 8+ years. For metastatic desease, the dx date seems obvious because of the multiple chemos.

Al