PDA

View Full Version : Platelet count low...

Chelee
05-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I just realized tonight ALL my posts and questions are too long and drawn out. I sincerely apologize to all of you that have made your way through them. I noticed I don't get many replies...and now I know why. This cancer DX has changed me...I never use to do that.

I posted on this tonight...but will again...but will keep it short! :)

My platelet count was low...98 this last Monday. Normal range is (150-450)

How low will they let your platelet count get before they do something about it?

Anyone know?

Chelee

juanita
05-13-2006, 06:57 AM
I think it depends on your onc, which I've seen from other posts you don't have great faith in. Mine were low, but not that low and he said 100 was kinda his cut off depending on other counts as well. I stayed right above his cutoff. If you think it would do any good, ask them what they're cutoff is? What about your other counts?

Chelee
05-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Juanita, This new oncologist I thought was better...and she is in some ways. But I am starting to have some problems with her also. I see her this Monday and we ARE going to talk. (She knows it to!@)

You asked about my other counts...she is good about keeping those all up there. In fact...till i had her...I didn't know about Procrit, or getting Iron IV infusions if your low..nothing. Let alone Neulasta. The first oncologist gave me nothing!

But this is the first time she has let my platelet count get that low. I kind of thought 98 was pushing it. If it was 98 last week..it HAS to be lower now? I am concerned. That is important to keep up from the way I understand it. I don't want a blood transfusion.

Maybe she thinks when I come in for Herceptin Monday...she will give me some Procrit or something then? She better do something soon. I am worried. I am in alot of PAIN tonight..I wonder if that isn't alot of the reason why. Do you hurt more if your platelet count it low?

The only count that was low last week on Monday was the Platelet...all others were good. Maybe that is why she is waiting? (I hate it when you can't really trust the doctors treating you.)

Thanks for telling me what your doctors cut off point is. Much appreciated.

Chelee

madubois63
05-16-2006, 08:36 PM
I haven't posted in a while because of PLATELETS. I had a triple dose of chemo a few months ago, and it put me in a tail spin. Since then, my platelets have been seriously low. I've had SEVERAL blood and platelet transfusions and a few stays in the hospital because of it to. My CBC indicates a platelet range of 150 - 450. As of yesterday, mine was 24. If it drops tomorrow, I will be off to the hospital for another transfusion. I have a throbbing headache. I am learning this is a sign (FOR ME) that it is time again. I was told 10 is the cut off, but at 56, I had a severe nose bleed (7 1/2 hours long and a 2 days stay in the hospital) a few weeks ago. I am scheduled to have a bone marrow biopsy on Monday to see what is going on. I have had ALOT of chemo and this can happen. I have a dear friend that had 7 transfusions before her bone marrow finally kicked in.
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´ -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´

Chelee
05-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Hi MaryAnn, Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear what you have been through already. My heart truly goes out to you. That triple dose of chemo really did a number on you and your platelet counts. I didn't know how low they could go...and I was worried about mine being 98, and yours is 24. I will add you to my prayers tonight that yours start climbing! :) I sure hope you can AVOID the hospital. I've been there and done that once so far...that was already too much for me. But I find we all do what we have to in order to keep going.
Let me know how your doing and IF you managed to stay OUT of the hospital. I just had my weekly herceptin this last Monday and my platelet count DID go up a LITTLE bit. From 98 to 125. I hope it keeps climbing because next Monday is my Herceptin, Taxotere, & Carbpotin. I know that will be hard on my platelet counts again. I did get a shot of "Procrit" too this last Monday as my rbc was a little low too.
Thanks for your reply MaryAnn. You hang in there ok. This sure is a rough road and one I will never understand WHY any of us...let alone little childern have to go through. Its a nasty disease and one I pray nighly that there will be a cure for it.

Chelee

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Stage IIIA, Her2/Neu 3+++, Er & Pr Positive, 5 of 16 positive nodes, DX 12-20-05.

TX plan: Herceptin, Taxotere, & Carbpotin