PDA

View Full Version : FOGGY...Anyone else feel like this?

RhondaH
05-09-2006, 12:26 PM
I know Lani has a post regarding "side effects" and I will respond when I get a chance, but for any of you on Herceptin only does your head feel "foggy" and do you sometimes feel fuzzy (i.e when I'm reading, my comprehension is off and I just feel "unclear")?

Rhonda

Taffy
05-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Rhonda, you described how I feel perfectly. Although I've had the odd moment when I haven't been able to concentrate it hasn't been too bad ...... until today that is. For the past few hours I've felt foggy and dazed, almost as though I'm sedated! It's starting to clear a bit now but I am having to really concentrate in order to write this. Earlier, I was reading the newspaper and had to put it down as I just wasn't taking in anything I read.

I feel like a zombie! I only started on Herceptin two weeks ago so goodness knows what it's going to be like after my next dose!

love
Taffy

Her2nSue
05-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Rhonda and Taffy,

You guys are not alone in the fog! I've been feeling foggy since chemo started in Nov. now I'm just starting Herceptin every 3 weeks. Had my first infusion april 28th. The fog has not lifted, my retention spand is extremely short. I used to enjoy reading novels, and stuff, I'm now limited to short magazine articles and a quick run through the newspaper because I can't keep the attention span. Now I fully understand how children with Attention Deficit feel (and that's my job at school, sp. ed. associate, what a hoot!) not sure who is going to help who next school year if this fog doesn't lift. I lose things constantly. Have it in my hand one minute, gone the next and then can't find it. Here's a chuckle for you, the other day, my daugher and I went out for ice cream blizzards, she was driving so I went in to go order them. Came out with the ice cream, 2 spoons and napkins. Got settled into the car, lost my spoon somewhere between ice cream stand and when I sat down. Couldn't find it anywhere, not on the ground and not in the car, just "poof" gone. Just like the rest of my foggy stuff. Had to go back in and retrieve a new spoon. Of course, this is just comic relief for my daughter and family when I do this stuff. They don't realize how exasperating it is on us "Chemo/Foggy brained" zombies.

I also seem to have difficulty with focusing in on getting stuff done. If I'm lucky, I can get two things accomplished that I have on my list of things to do.

To think of being in this fog for a year with Herceptin and not knowing if it's going to lift after I'm off, sometimes just seems a bit much. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have it to keep us going, but some of the side affects just really get to you.

Sue

Sherryg683
05-09-2006, 01:21 PM
You can count me in the fog! Sometimes are worse than others. I have always had sinus problems and sometimes Herceptin irratates my sinuses so bad that I have to get on medication to clear them up. I had a cruddy week last week and finally went to the doctor yesterday for a shot, feeling better today. Even at my best, I don't seem to be near as sharp as I was before chemo and Herceptin. I'm on the stuff indefinately, so I guess I better get used to being an air head, I hate the feeling though..sherryg683

juanita
05-09-2006, 05:19 PM
You can count me in too! A lot of this I just figure is me till I see sombody else voice it and then a lightbulb goes on.

Sandy H
05-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Well, join the group. I have been like this for a couple of years now or more so am getting use to it not that I like it. I am not able to finish anything I start. Am unable to multi task. My house looks like a hurricane hit. I just keep piling. I am terrible at doing things in a timely manner. I wait the last minute to do things. Appointments are terrible as I am always running out the door. Just can't seem to plan ahead. I also loose things. Have it in my hand one minute and gone the next. Can't type anymore. I try to proof read and proof read again and again. I feel like I don't have a brain or mind. The other story here my husband is as bad as me. I do better thinking for him then I do for myself. Now, figure that one out! At least we both can laugh at each other. Shopping is another story in its self. I make trip after trip to the store and manage to get one thing at a time. I am only 59 and have a friend who is 90 and she is as sharp as can be. She keeps asking me what is wrong with me and when I say my brain is fried from too many toxic drugs then she feels bad and says, "why of course it must be". Oh well, I try to be thankful I am still here and not worry about it. It is good to hear from others and that we are not the only ones. hugs, Sandy

lu ann
05-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Some days I can accomplish tasks, but most days I spend sleeping and watching tv in my recliner. I have been off chemo since 12/05 so I can't blame it on the chemo. I know I have some depression, but I'm on medication for that. Today I slept all night in my recliner, then untill 11:00am in bed, then more sleep in the recliner. I just don't have what it takes to get my work done. Everything is piling up.

Blessings, Lu Ann.

John21
05-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Any headaches with after starting Herceptin?

Thanks

John

dberg
05-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Yes, yes, yes! Sometimes I just don't feel like I'm really "there." I have a difficult time searching for the right words when I am speaking, although not when I am writing.

Is it really the Herceptin, or the after effects of chemo?

al from Canada
05-10-2006, 08:29 AM
There has been some studies showing success with ritalin and the anti-alzhiemers drugs Arecept and Memantine. Think Memantine has potential because it is also a glutamate inhibitor.

Al

Andi
05-10-2006, 03:44 PM
My attention span is definitely shorter than it was before treatment, but I always thought it was my version of "chemo brain". I can't say I am really foggy but I can't multi-task like before.

R.B.
05-11-2006, 03:51 AM
PLEASE READ

SMART FATS by M SCMIDT

It is available on the net Alibris for about $8 second hand, or there is a newer version.

It deals with brain function and fats, covering many of the issues raised on this site just not specifically for cancer - ADHD MS fatigue poor brain function, eyesight.............

IT IS A MUST READ.

Its back to balancing the threes and sixes and taking a DHA supplement (body take up drops off above 2 grams a day), as a starting point.

RB

DeborahNC
05-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Am on Herceptin only since Jan. 19 (stopped Taxol then) and have become progrssively worse cognitively! I feel disconnected with reality, in a fog, operating at a slightly different level from everyone around me. I have trouble typing and saying what I'm thinking and my distance eyesight is taking a hit. Just writing this short paragraph took all my concentration and I still had to correct at least 6 typos.