PDA

View Full Version : Gene expession and BC

R.B.
05-05-2006, 04:38 PM
http://breast-cancer-reserach.com/content/6/5/R499

This is a link to an article on the relation of gene expression to IDC. You may have to paste it as I have had to type it in manually

Fig four contains a comprehensible pie chart that shows how many of the bodies "functions" are involved.

I have only skimmed it and there is much that is way above me.

BUT - it is revealing in that it shows how truly complex it all is, with all the implications that has for treatment, single target drugs, etc

AND if you are looking for lifestyle factors that have the potential to influence many areas including metabolism, immune function, reporduction and all that entails etc. as a treatment adjunct of preventative factor it is fats.

RB

Lani
05-05-2006, 05:24 PM
explains why it unlikely that there is a simple answer--that doesn't imply we won't be able to make fantastic inroads!

R.B.
05-06-2006, 03:55 AM
I in no way deny the magnificent and incredible inroads in the understanding of how we humans and our genetic relations function.

I do observe that every door they open seems to lead to several more, and it seems there is still a very great deal to learn.

It just seems to me we and our many genetic relatives have adapted over hundreds of thousands of years and evolved very complex mechanisms to survive in and with our environement.

For me finding causes and removing them is a very much more simple task than looking for a "cure".

Even finding causes will still leave those who suffer for other reasons. Hence the continuing need for research.

But is it worth allowing many who do no need to be ill, to become ill just because by failing to put sufficient resources into researching the causes.

Is there a failure to research causes because there is a need to fund research, provide jobs and provide profit to the pharmacuetical industry. Are people in the research world despite their better inclination being forced to look the other way, whilst knowing in their hearts there is an parallel better alternative? (Human nature at work again)

Soon the way things are going treatment will be unaffordable anyway for a great many who have some sort of access at present.

How far away are funding crises in western health provision? (and that already excludes the third world who proabaly cant afford these treatments).

What are the social consequences to society of refusal to provide treatement. As herceptin has shown few thing are more powerful motivators than protection of familly etc., and where does that anger lead when it is simply impossible to fullfill expectation.

Are we simply not better off trying to keep people well in the first place, and for the more political if not on humanitarian grounds, for the long term good of the nation, a healthy and "contented" work force and natioanl resource.

RB