PDA

View Full Version : Maggie C... Brain mets...

pattyz
05-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Maggie,
Saw your post on your MRi results and am just so sorry you have this on top of your other issues.

I have had two lesions on my brain stem treated. One at a time a year apart, along with others simultaneously. I so hope you will find a good rad onc and center where you will get focalized treatment for your brain mets. You'll have enough other side effects to deal with when you go on your chemo schedule... without the added multiples from WBR.

Thinking of you, dear.......
hugs,
pattyz xoxo

pattyz
05-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Maggie C,

Someone out here is thinking of you...

xoxo
pattyz

Sheila
05-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Maggie
Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and hope you have seen the radiation oncologist by now...there are many brain mets survivors on this board so feel free to ask anything...this is scary for anyone.

Barbara H.
05-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Maggie,
I am also a survivor of brain mets and am thinking of you. Be sure to come to this site with any questions you may have.
Barbara H.

pattyz
05-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Here is part of email update from Maggie C:

".........Since my posting I have had 3 consults. First with the Kaiser radiation oncologist, second with another Kaiser medical oncologist (and my new oncologist now) and third with Dr. Glaspy, the breat cancer "brain" at UCLA.

Good news is that the 2 mets in the brain are only 4mm and 11mm. Dr. Glaspy indicated that the reason it makes since to radiate the whole brain is because there could very well be other non-scan visible cancer cells which radiation could zap. My neurological exam indicated I'm at nearly 100% functionality. BTW, Herceptin does not penetrate the brain but a to-be-release Herceptin like (but more powerful) oral med called Lapatanib does.

...The radiation oncologist, Dr. Rao said I should be able to drive to my appointments (about 25 miles) and work at home. So, that's the plan. My mom is coming down tomorrow from Reedley in Fresno county so I have someone to stay with me if the fatigue becomes too difficult. I've started on Decadron to prevent headache and fatigue which accommpanies the brain rads. Feeling like a little fireball now : ) "

Maggie
05-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Maggie C,

Thoughts and prayers for you! Let us know when you can how you are doing.

Hugs, Maggie

Esther
05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Maggie, is there any way that you can consult with Dr. Black at Cedars-Sinai? With lesions that small, I would really think hard about doing WBR.

Brain mets lesions from BC are showing very good results with SRS, with 50% of the people not needing any additional treatment for brain mets ever.

Kim in CA
05-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Maggie,

I had an 8mm lesion last July that was successfully treated with Gamma Knife in August. It had grown to 11mm between the time we found it and when I actually had the procedure one month later. I asked about WBR and the doctor felt it was better just to keep doing regular MRIs because there was a good chance this might be the only tumor I get. Don't mean to confuse the issue, but it was my understanding that you could always save WBR for later if you developed mutltiples.

Maybe, you could get one more opinion?

Kim in CA

kimber
05-12-2006, 04:30 AM
Maggie:

Your strength and determination amaze me. Truly amaze me. I am glad your mom is going to be with you. Now matter how old we get it is the best thing in the world to be able to have your mom with you! God bless - kim