PDA

View Full Version : Tumour both positive and negative

bjj
05-04-2006, 02:41 AM
Has anyone else had this?

I had one negative result from the hospital I had radiotherapy from and a positive result from my local hospital. IHC3+ from local hospital and IHC1+ and FISH negative from the hospital I was under for radiotherapy.

I had put this one to the back of my mind as having spoken to oncologists at both hospitals I am too late to have Herceptin as I never had chemotherapy after surgery. (My lump was grade 2, 16-18mm, ER+, node negative).

I saw my local oncologist a couple of weeks ago and she is insisting that the local hospital rechecks my tumour - they are reluctant to do this as they state it is definitely positive. I phoned today and it still hasn't been rechecked.

Both my oncologists - and in particular the one that is pushing for the retest of the positive results thinks I might be one of the very rare people that have a tumour that is both positive and negative.

I'm not worried about it now as treatment-wise there is little I can do but it would still be nice to know.

Has anyone else had a tumour that displayed both positive and negative status?

Thanks

bjj

Barbara2
05-04-2006, 06:13 AM
I recently visited with my onc about the meaning of results from IHC and FISH tests. He felt strongly that the tests be done at a reputable NATIONAL lab, where testing is done on a large scale basis.

He felt that it is too risky to do such important tests at local labs. The results of these tests will determine what type of treatment (if any) the patient will receive, and to risk the reliability of the results, is a big mistake.

He also felt strongly that the FISH results were far superior to IHC results. He questioned why any labs would even use IHC when checking for Her2+ disease.

Barbara

cherylynnie
05-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Bjj,

My tumor was tested more than once. First it was IHC - 0, then - 1+, then it was redone later by FISH and was 3.0 amplified.

My biopsy was IHC tested and it was 2+ borderline. I got that information over the phone from one of the oncologist I saw before my surgery. My husband preferred a different Onc. we had seen, and I sometimes wonder about the decision...

So I was quite confused when I was first told that the tumor tested IHC -0-, when it had been borderline. But I guess they later sent it off for FISH testing and then 2 months later found out I was her-2 positive, so now after I finished chemo, I am on Herceptin.

DX Sept 6 2005
Right Mastectomey Sept 26 2005
4AC -4 Taxotere
Heceptin for 1 year will finish April 2007
Stage II, Grade III, N-0