PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with Leg Pain post chemo

Patricia
04-29-2006, 05:16 PM
I had AC x 4 in the fall and finished Taxol x12 at the end of Feb. I am getting Herceptin every 3 weeks until Dec 06. The Taxol brought on really significant leg pain and achiness which I managed by taking the maximum dosage of Alleve each day. The pain has gotten better, but is still there and on days like today, even impact my gait. I was hobbling around today in pain and finally headed back home to rest. I normally have pain first thing in the morning, struggle up the stairs at work and have trouble when I am sitting in meetings for a long timeor at my desk for long periods. I started Aromasin about 1 month ago and my onc specifically chose Aromasin because it was supposed to have less bone pain effects. I am wondering is anyone else experiencing this? Have you found anything other than drugs to help with the pain? How long did it last for you?

Thanks!
Patricia

Sandy H
04-29-2006, 05:50 PM
I have lots of bone pain from the Taxol. I take flaxseed oil capsules and it keeps me comfortable. The doctors here use flaxseed for arthritis and so that is how I knew about it. I take 6 capsules a day 2 3 times a day. You may need more as each person is different. The only thing you need to be careful is if you are ER pos. then you may not be able to take flaxseed. I am ER neg. so its not a problem for me. I am very happy I don't have to take drugs for my pain. I am sure you will get posts from others. hugs, Sandy

Mgarr
04-29-2006, 05:56 PM
I have severe leg pain, but I don't believe its my bones or joints; my muscles feel like rubberbands that are stretched to the limits. It lessens w/ motrin but worsens when I take my walks or stand for any length of time. My hope is its only temporary and will subside when I have finished Herceptin. Herceptin is the only medication I am currently taking.

Mary

LOPSIDED
04-29-2006, 06:16 PM
IT SEEMS LIKE AS SOON AS I FINISHED TAXOTERE I FELT STIFF AND HAD SOME PAIN IN MY SHOULDERS, BACK AND LEGS. DURING THE TREATMENT I WAS FINE BUT NOW I FEEL LIKE AN OLD LADY ESPECIALLY WHEN I FIRST GET UP IN THE MORNING. AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR OR TWO ITS NOT AS BAD. WHEN I'VE BEEN SITTING IN ONE PLACE FOR A WHILE I REALLY NOTICE IT WHEN I GET UP. ALL I'VE TOOK SO FAR IS MOTRIN. I'M NOT IN ENOUGH PAIN TO ASK FOR MEDICATION FOR IT, BUT I'M HOPING IT WILL GO AWAY WITH TIME. I BEEN TRYING TO EXERCISE MORE AND THAT SEEMS TO HELP. HOPE YOU FIND SOME RELIEF. SHEILA

Cathya
04-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I felt like I had a terrible case of arthritis with Taxol. I used to think and plan my trip up the stairs at night to be sure I wasn't forgetting anything as I didn't think I could make the trip more than once. I would be fine the day of the treatment and the next two or three, then it would hit for about three days. I took 2 tylenol 3's about 2 or 3 times a day for the pain. Then I would be ok until the next cycle. I still feel pain and stiffness sometimes but nothing that requires medication. I finished my taxol in July I think of 2005. Sorry to hear you are still feeling the pains.

Cathy

Alice
04-29-2006, 10:01 PM
I finished chemo in 9/05 and still have leg pains sometimes severe. In 2/06 my rad onc started me on neurontin to see if it could be from nerve damage considering I had other symptoms. It has helped considerably. Your problem may be different but keep on trying.

Alice

tricia keegan
04-30-2006, 10:55 AM
I also have very bad back and leg pains and general stiffness all over since finishing Taxol early Feb.I too have been told it helps a lot to exercise or even a long walk so will give that a try.I've heard this can last months or in extreme cases years.Lets hope not!
Tricia

Cathya
04-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Patricia;

By the way, I keep thinking of you....living in the most beautiful city I ever saw with mountains everywhere (I visited San Francisco when I had been living in the Canadian prairies for quite a while) and streets that sometimes seem 90 degrees. How do you manage with leg pain in this environment. You must exercise a lot just getting around. On the other hand you have a marvelous environment to recoup in and I hope that helps.

Cathy

bonnie
04-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Shelia, I had the same experience that you did. When I finished Taxotere/Carboplatin, I had the stiffness and pain after I'd been sitting and I felt like I moved like an only lady because I couldn't just jump up and go. I had to find something to hold onto to even get up.

Coincidentally, I had a shoulder problem and the orthopedist prescribed Celebrex, 200 mg/day, for that. I started taking it and all the stiffness and pain went away. I'm so greatful to be able to move like a normal human being again.

Bonnie

"IT SEEMS LIKE AS SOON AS I FINISHED TAXOTERE I FELT STIFF AND HAD SOME PAIN IN MY SHOULDERS, BACK AND LEGS. DURING THE TREATMENT I WAS FINE BUT NOW I FEEL LIKE AN OLD LADY ESPECIALLY WHEN I FIRST GET UP IN THE MORNING. AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR OR TWO ITS NOT AS BAD. WHEN I'VE BEEN SITTING IN ONE PLACE FOR A WHILE I REALLY NOTICE IT WHEN I GET UP. ALL I'VE TOOK SO FAR IS MOTRIN. I'M NOT IN ENOUGH PAIN TO ASK FOR MEDICATION FOR IT, BUT I'M HOPING IT WILL GO AWAY WITH TIME. I BEEN TRYING TO EXERCISE MORE AND THAT SEEMS TO HELP. HOPE YOU FIND SOME RELIEF. SHEILA"

suzan w
04-30-2006, 04:24 PM
I did 4 cycles of A/C and am now 6 months into a year of Herceptin (every 3 weeks). Started taking Arimidex when I started Herceptin. Almost immediately was beset with severe joint pain-mostly hips, knees and thumbs (hey...not many other joints left!). Worse in the morning.Not many other side effects-runny nose. Then, last week started feeling very achy and flu-like...go figure. I try not to worry over every ache and pain, but it is hard. I started taking ibuprofin 3 days ago, that seems to help.

Patricia
04-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi Cathy,

Thanks for your note. We have had massive amounts of rain this year so it hasn't seemed like the same old San Francisco, but just this week the sun has officially come out. Everyone seems to be buzzing enjoying the good weather. It has been sad to feel like I cannot walk and enjoy the city. Last night my husband and I went to a movie in our neighboorhood and I just knew that it was going to be too painful to walk so we ended up taking a taxi. I had taken some Aleve before we left and luckily I was feeling a bit better after the movie. We decided to walk and went very slow and sure enough made it home. Of course then I had to face the stairs ;-).

I was saddened to hear so many others with these ongoing pains, but it did at least make me feel like it wasn't just me. I am hopeful that they will subside with time and it is good to know that folks feel that exercising helps. I used to exercise quite often before my dx, but just haven't been able to do much. I think I will just push myself to get to the gym and see if that helps.

Patricia

Patricia
04-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi Sheila,

Do you know what is the conflict between being ER+ and the flaxseed? I have been putting flaxseed oil in smoothies and wasn't aware of a problem for those of us that are positive? Thank you for sharing any info you have!

Patricia

JackieC
05-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Patricia-

I had the same pain after chemo - felt like I was 90! I finished chemo in Sept 2005, I'm still on Herceptin. I think the Neulasta made it worse than the chemo! The Onc. recommended high dosages of Vit. D, in a multivitamin, Caltrate D and D by itself. I noticed a difference within two days, and it got much better. We've checked the "D" levels in the blood and it is still in the normal range even though I'm taking a ton. Working out helps too. I'm now running 4-7 miles three times a week and weightlifting too. I drink a lot of water, I think that helps everything!
Take care,
Jackie

Her2nSue
05-01-2006, 07:24 PM
I would also like to know, as well as Patricia, if there is a conflict with taking flaxseed to help with joint pain from Herceptin and being er+. Does anyone know?

Sue

cherylynnie
05-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Patricia,

I started with pain 12 days post Taxotere. I have pain in the heals of my feet, my knees and my hips. I believe the steroids hid the arthritis while on the chemo, and our pain is a direct effect from the taxols. Some days pain is better than others. The more I move around the better. Reminds me of my grandmother who didn't want to sit for fear she wouldn't be able to get back up. But sometimes my heels hurt real bad, just the other day I was limping around the kitchen trying to make dinner. I hope that it goes away with time. I try not to take anything unless it is really bad.