PDA

View Full Version : new bone mets

clisa
04-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Well I have joined the "unlucky " group of having my disease progress in to my bones. I have being haivng alot of tests, scans etc to try to determine why I have been having such weakness in my legs, etc. We still have no answers for that concern but my latest bone scan shows a growth in my upper spine as well as possibly one about !/2 way down my spine.

The oncoogist says this is of no consequense and we will continue with my current chemo, of navelbine, xeloda and herceptin and unless I start to physically have pain or discomfort they will not do radiation on the bone mets.

We have brought in a neuroligist now to take a closer look at my legs - It could I understand in a rare situation be some spinal fluid from the bone mets leaking out and causing weakness? anyone heard of this?

Anyone with other suggestions or ideas or do you think this is good plan of action - I know alot of people have had good success with navelbine and bone mets.

Thanks again for all your input. Lisa

sherri
05-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Dear Lisa,

I know you are in Vegas. I hope you are enjoying your trip. About bone mets I know they are more manageable than other mets. But for sure other people with more experience can help and answer you.

Big hug,

StephN
05-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi Lisa -
Been busy getting ready for a trip of my own - plus having a lot of scans and onc visits.
You mention Navelbine, but do not say that you are going on a treatment with this drug. Is your onc team still discussing the best way to treat you?

Biphosphanates are a class of drugs that actually help to strengthen and regrow your bones. Zometa is one and I have been taking this drug for very close to 4 years now and no recurrence.

I did take Navelbine with Taxol and Herceptin to chase away my raging liver mets and the shadows that were forming in my bones. I know that Navelbine with Xeloda is also another good combo against bone mets.

Let us know what the options are that you are considering. Then you will get some more concrete answers. Or just do a search for bone mets and see what others have used for treating them and how they did.

Best wishes for halting those mets!

cosmicdust
05-04-2006, 12:52 AM
I am on Zometa as well for larger met to T12 (spine) and smaller elsewhere with excellent results. Talk to your onc and best of luck! Blessings from Minnesota!

Dalye
05-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi Lisa;

Why did your doctors decide no radiation? My sister (Her2neu +++) had a recurrence last yr (bone mets L1 & L5, I think?) and the onc wanted her to get radiation because it is so close to the spine. She was also in a lot of pain, the reoccuance cause a fracture to her vertebrae

sabpri
05-04-2006, 01:27 PM
I am so sorry to hear about the news of your recent scan. I was totally devastated when I got the news of mets on my rib and pelvic area. I have since had a scan that showed no old or new bone mets, so now I have no idea if I had the mets or not, but we are still treating me just the same just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, I was put on Zometa every 4 weeks to stregthen the bones and help them re-grow. I have no side effects from it and my onc swears that this drug will be used prophalaticaly (I need to find spell check on this thing! - Know I spelled this wrong and a few other words!) in the next 5-10 years, as studies show it can also help prevent mets from starting in the first place.

I had also talked to rad onc about possible radiation to the spots, but she said it is only done to relieve major pain, as I guess it can cause more damage than good if just used as first line treatment.

My practice has had great response with the Zometa, so hopefully you will as well.

Love and Hugs to you!
Natalie

John21
05-04-2006, 02:19 PM
My wife has stage IV. Has had bone mets from the beginning. SHe started on aredia every 3 weeks then changed to Zometa. It has been the easiest to manage. Started taxol/carbo/herceptin beginning of year for reoccurence elsewere. Last scans showed great improvement and even the bones which never had. I was wondering if they would ever turn around in the bones.

John

clisa
05-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks for all your replies - I am currently receiving xeloda, navelbine and herceptin every 3 weeks - I will discuss the addition of zometa - though I don't know if it is available here in Canada.

Lisa

Cathya
05-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Lisa;

I got the following off of a Gov't of Canada website so it appears it is available in Canada. I wonder if others have had side effects from it? I too have heard great things about this drug and want to talk to my onc about using it prophylactically. Cathy

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/medeff/advisories-avis/prof/2004/aredia_zometa_hpc-cps_e.html

August 9, 2005

Subject: Updated Renal Safety Information on Zometa* (zoledronic acid) and Aclasta* (zoledronic acid)
Following discussions with Health Canada, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. would like to inform you of changes made to the Zometa* (zoledronic acid 4 mg for intravenous infusion) prescribing information. We would also like to inform you about the new Product Monograph of Aclasta* (zoledronic acid - 5 mg single-dose intravenous infusion).

ZOMETA* (zoledronic acid)

Zometa* is used to treat the following conditions: a) bone metastases (i.e. cancer that has spread from the tumor to the bone) due to different types of tumors, b) multiple myeloma, and c) tumor-induced hypercalcemia (high blood calcium levels caused by tumors).

The changes to the Zometa* Product Monograph are being made to minimize the possible risk of deterioration in kidney function during treatment with Zometa*. The changes affect patients with advanced cancer with mild to moderate impairment in kidney function or patients with high blood calcium levels caused by tumors (tumor-induced hypercalcemia) requiring retreatment.

Worsening of kidney function, which may progress to kidney failure, has been reported with Zometa* and is also known to occur with other drugs of the bisphosphonate class. Therefore, your doctor will measure your kidney function before each dose of Zometa*. The use of Zometa* is not recommended in patients with severe impairment in kidney function. Also, single doses of Zometa* (zoledronic acid) should not exceed 4 mg and the duration of the infusion should be no less than 15 minutes.

Specific changes that will affect your treatment with Zometa* depending on the condition for which Zometa* has been prescribed are as follows:

Bone Metastases of Solid Tumors and Multiple Myeloma

Your doctor will measure your kidney function before you start treatment with Zometa* and if the results of your blood tests show that you have mild to moderate impairment in kidney function, your doctor will reduce the dose of Zometa* depending on the severity of your kidney problem. You doctor will continue to monitor your kidney function prior to each of the subsequent doses of Zometa*. If these tests indicate worsening of kidney function, your doctor will withhold further treatment with Zometa* until these tests return to normal.

Tumor-Induced Hypercalcemia

Patients who show complete or partial response initially may be retreated with Zometa* 4 mg if blood calcium levels do not return to normal or do not remain normal after initial treatment. The use of the 8 mg dose of Zometa* for the retreatment of tumor-induced hypercalcemia is no longer recommended.

tammymarie1971
05-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Hi Lisa..Yes Zometa is available in Canada. I get it every 3 weeks when I go to Lion's Gate for herceptin. Are you with the BC cancer agency???
Tammy in Abbotsford