PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice

IRENE FROM TAMPA
03-30-2006, 06:00 AM
As most of you know I have been battling breast cancer for the last 10years and have taken many chemos.

Last July they took me off of Herceptin (since I had been on for 6 years with progression) and they put me on Abraxane. My onc. refused to give to me in combo with the Herceptin saying enough was not known about it together. It seems like my markers are now elevating again and I am going to rescan this week to see what's happening.

I have read where some of you are on or know someone on the combo and have been doing well. I don't know if to go for another opinion to restarting Herceptin again in combo with something else maybe. My fear is that my options of chemo's are running out. I seem to respond to the chemo's but after about 7 - 8 months, it's starts all over again. I am sure my onc. will check for other options once we scan and we see what is happening but I am getting very nervous about what there is left for me to take.

I have pulled up a few combinations I have read about myself and am going to mention but thought I would pass this along to you all and see what I might learn. This site has alot of "experienced" members on it and good source of info.

Thanks to all.

mts
03-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Hi Irene-

As I was scrolling through the topics, I saw a topic that might be useful just above your post (Lapatinib trials by MichelleU). Looks like something you might want to discuss with your onc!
Maria

Unregistered
03-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Diet as food for thought as adjunct to whatever other treatments you choose.

This is an interesting article you may want to look at and if of interest discuss with your advisors.

RB

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23104

Lolly
03-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Irene, I copied this from an earlier post to Linda from Australia, on the same subject. Just want to give you a shot of hope, as I believe there may be some on this list you haven't had yet.
Also, do check out Michele U's post on Lapatinib, apparently it's been fast tracked to go into clinical use for Stage IV, maybe sometime this year? So you just need to buy some time until this very promising agent comes out...
Do you think your oncologist was premature in taking you off Herceptin? I have recurred several times while on Herceptin, and my onc just adds a chemo agent back in, believing that even though the disease is finding ways around Herceptin, it's still helping to "keep the brakes on".
Here's the list, and hugs to you today, try not to be discouraged as there's still plenty out there for you. <3 Lolly

Preferred single agents for the treatment of recurrent or metastatic breast cancer:

Anthracyclines (doxorubicin or epirubicin).
Taxanes (paclitaxel or docetaxel).
Capecitabine.
Vinorelbine.
CAF/FAC - fluorouracil/doxorubicin/cyclophosphamide.
CEF - cyclophosphamide/epirubicin/fluorouracil.
AC - doxorubicin/cyclophosphamide.
EC - epirubicin/cyclophosphamide.
AT - doxorubicin/docetaxel or doxorubicin/paclitaxel.
CMF - cyclophosphamide/methotrexate/fluorouracil.
docetaxel/capecitabine.
Gemcitabine + platinol or carboplatin.

Other active drugs for the treatment of recurrent or metastatic breast cancer:

gemcitabine.
platinum drugs.
etoposide.
vinblastine.
fluorouracil.
Mitomycin C

hope
03-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi Irene,

I was also put on Abraxane and Herceptin in April 2005 and was stable until Feb. 2006. There was some progression in the right lung only. My big tumor went from 8.1cm to 8.6cm and had 550ml plural effusion drained from my right lung. Still suffer from shortness of breath but O2 saturation improved. Bone mets and brain mets are still stable. Next week onc. wants to discuss puting me on a combo of Abraxane and Xeloda with getting Herceptin still. I have posted earlier if anyone had any info on that combo. Will update when I know the facts. I have to agree with you that chemo's work with me the first 7-8 months then I progress. Hope

Lisa
03-30-2006, 10:27 PM
...works for awhile, then comes back or progresses. That's me, too. But while I've been on Navelbine, Taxol (a taxane like Abraxane), Gemzar and now Xeloda during the past 3 years, I have never been taken off Herceptin. I can't imagine why you onc would do this, but I'm no scientist.

Love and light,

Lisa