PDA

View Full Version : Different tests. Echo & MUGA, etc

lisahammo
03-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi everyone

Reading all your posts, I am always struck by how different tests and treatments are between the countries. I am wondering how often do you all have echo or MUGA tests done? I have been having Herceptin for 20 months now, and have had one echo done and I can't remember how long ago it was. Also, as far as I am aware, I never have tumour marker tests done. You all talk about your results so much, and I feel so inadequate about the information I receive about my own body. What should I be asking about?

Thanks. Good luck.

Love Lisa

snoopy
03-30-2006, 03:17 PM
UK licence currently reads

All candidates for treatment with Herceptin, but especially those with prior anthracycline and cyclophosphamide (AC) exposure, should undergo baseline cardiac assessment including history and physical examination, ECG, echocardiogram, and/or MUGA scan. A careful risk-benefit assessment should be made before deciding to treat with Herceptin. Cardiac function should be further monitored during treatment (e.g. every three months). Monitoring may help to identify patients who develop cardiac dysfunction. Patients who develop asymptomatic cardiac dysfunction may benefit from more frequent monitoring (e.g. every 6-8 weeks). If patients have a continued decrease in left ventricular function, but remain asymptomatic, the physician should consider discontinuing therapy if no clinical benefit of Herceptin therapy has been seen. Caution should be exercised in treating patients with symptomatic heart failure, a history of hypertension or documented coronary artery disease.
http://www.emc.medicines.org.uk/

I've had 3 monthly echos (finished a years course of herceptin yesterday). Luckily for me LVEF has remained unchanged throughout

Barbara2
03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
I have a MUGA or ultrasound done every 3 months while taking Herceptin.

Tumor marker tests are done every 3 months also. That is at my request. My onc usually does tumor markers every 3 months for the first 2 years with Her2+ patients. After 2 years he will switch to every 6 months if the patient agrees.

chrislmelb
03-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Every three months whilst on Herceptin for HERA trial. It suprises me that you have not had regular MUGAS. I am fairly sure you would have your tumor markers done but if you don't ask they don't tell. A lot of people have no idea what is REALLY happening so i suppose the doctors just say good or bad with no intricate details. Ask next time and i am sure you would get the results or ask for a copy for yourself. One day whilst i was having herceptin i went through my whole file. I was looking for my FISH test number(as a lot seem to know a numder) but it was only noted as 3+++ or highly overexpressed.
Good luck and ask lots of questions.
Christine

tousled1
03-30-2006, 07:56 PM
You may want to check this site out regarding the usefulness of echocardiograms. It explains everything.

http://www.heartsite.com/html/echocardiogram.html

Toril
03-31-2006, 04:15 AM
Dear Lisa
I have been doing MUGAS every 18th weeks. Never had an ECHO. My numbers have been going down, but I have felt very good all the time. At one point my doc was considering doing an ECHO because I had some odd numbers the last time. So maybe he will choose ECHO next time, which is in April.
About my tumor markes I am not sure. I will as about it.

Love Toril