PDA

View Full Version : Lapatinib trials

michele u
03-29-2006, 03:24 PM
I have a aunt that has a sister with Her2 pos breast cancer with brain mets. She had whole brain radiation last Nov. now she has progression. They are trying to get her into a Lapatinib trial in Denver. Is there anyone here that can tell her about their experiences similiar? she is going to check here on the site for you answers. Thank's everyone

Unregistered
03-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Michele;

The only person I can think of is Nicola who is on a trial. Perhaps you could contact her or read her posts. Please keep us informed.

Cathya

Marily
03-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Michelle, HI, I just got back from Calif and seeing Dr Slamon, at UCLA. He told me that Lapatinib will be coming out of testing in two weeks and if you are unable to take Herceptin, or it is not working for you .. It will soon be available. Hope this will help your Aunt. I live in the Denver area if she wants to contact me.. Marily

Sherryg683
03-29-2006, 06:27 PM
I have been wondering when they were going to release Lapatinab. I am excited about it because it is suppose to protect for brain mets, from what I have heard. I wonder if you can take both herceptin and lapatinab at the same time, does anyone know that. I was going to ask my Oncologist about it on Friday because anything that would protect the brain, sounds good to me...sherryg683

Marily
03-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi, according to Dr Slaman, the Lapatinib is used when Herceptin no longer works.. It is to take its place.
Marily

Cathya
03-30-2006, 06:13 AM
Marily;

Do you know if it has the same negative impact on the heart?

Thanks

Cathya

Lolly
03-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Here are a few excerpts from articles I found, maybe answering some of your questions...

Activity of the Dual Kinase Inhibitor Lapatinib (GW572016) against HER-2-Overexpressing and Trastuzumab-Treated Breast Cancer Cells
http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/66/3/1630
“…For the combination of lapatinib plus trastuzumab, synergistic drug interactions were
observed in four different HER-2-overexpressing cell lines. Moreover, lapatinib retained significant in vitro activity against cell lines selected for long-term outgrowth (>9 months) in trastuzumab-containing (100 µg/mL) culture medium. These observations provide a clear biological rationale to test lapatinib as a single agent or in combination with trastuzumab in HER-2-overexpressing breast cancer and in patients with clinical resistance to trastuzumab. (Cancer Res 2006; 66(3): 1630-9)

Lapatinib shows 35% response in advanced breast cancer patients in initial trial of the drug as first-line treatment
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=24445
Main Category: Breast Cancer News (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?category=9)
Article Date: 15 May 2005 - 15:00pm (UK)
“…The most frequently reported adverse events in this trial have been mild to moderate itching, rash, diarrhea, acne, and dry skin. No adverse events deemed drug-related, including cardiotoxicity, have been serious enough to be categorised as Grade 3 or 4 by standard toxicity criteria.
...At the San Antonio Breast Cancer (http://www.mlclick.com/mlcl.php?aid=DA426DD18BE67EA4514ED9432FFC8CB1&fwd=501572.aspx) Conference last December, it was reported that 6 of 26 patients (23 percent) whose cancer progressed during Herceptin treatment later experienced partial or complete responses when lapatinib was added to their standard Herceptin regimen...
Lapatinib has been granted fast-track status by the FDA for the treatment of refractory advanced or metastatic breast cancer who have documented ErbB2 overexpression and who have failed previous therapy, including Herceptin…”

Breakthroughs in Breast Cancer Treatments
http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/24/113001.htm
“…Findings about an experimental oral drug, lapatinib, were also presented at the meeting. Like Herceptin, lapatinib targets HER2, but it also targets a related protein called EGFR, meaning that it could have a broader range of effectiveness or could be especially effective when added to Herceptin. One small study evaluated the combination of lapatinib and Herceptin in patients with metastatic breast cancer. The researchers reported no additional or unexpected side effects with the combination. Moreover, a good percentage of this difficult-to-treat population responded to the treatment.

"We are very excited about the results of all of these studies with these new agents, and they clearly demonstrate a role for this type of therapy in the treatment of metastatic breast cancer," Miller says. "We also expect an even greater benefit for these therapies when used for earlier-stage disease as opposed to the metastatic setting."

Published Jan. 30, 2006.

Sherryg683
03-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Lolly, that's what I was talking about. It seems that it would be great to have Lapatinib along with Herceptin. I'm definately going to discuss it with my Oncologist tomorrow and see what he says. Lapatinib does cross the BBB, doesn't it? That's what I'm interested in also, it seems that we HER2 ladies need to be on something that will protect the brain...sherryg683

Cathya
03-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Lolly;

Thank you for those articles. It is very encouraging.

Cathya

Lolly
03-30-2006, 03:50 PM
"...Lapatinib has been granted fast-track status by the FDA for the treatment of refractory advanced or metastatic breast cancer who have documented ErbB2 overexpression and who have failed previous therapy, including Herceptin…”

It's important to remember that when it's released, the approved use will be limited to Stage IV patients who've progressed. Some oncs may be a little more "creative" than others in how they use it, so do your research before talking to your oncologist if your use would be considered "off label".
Also, check into clinical trials for Lapatinib in earlier stage disease if this is your situation, as that's the next step now that it's being approved for metastatic.

<3 Lolly