PDA

View Full Version : My mother was just diagnosed Oct 05

layne417
03-29-2006, 11:05 AM
My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in October of 2005. They decided chemo and a lumpectomy would be the best course of treatment. Before they put in her chemo port, they found that the cancer had spread to her liver and lungs. They chose to do chemo only and it worked but not on her lungs. In January, she was hospitalized and was told that the cancer had spread to her left lung causing shortness of breath. A month ago, we were told nothing was working so she was referred to the Sarah Cannon Cancer Center. Two weeks ago, she was hospitalized due to pneumonia. Before being discharged from the hospital, they gave her 7-10 days to live and said the cancer is eating through her chest cavity. She is at home now and wearing a morphine pump. She sleeps most often but not well and the morphine is causing hallucinations and nightmares. I just wanted to share my story and would like to talk with others in similar situations.

julierene
03-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Was she HER2 positive?

Susan2
03-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I am so sorry. I know that this is terrifying for you. The drs think that the bc was in my lungs as well - but not to the same extent as your mom. I was on Navelbine and Herceptin which cleared it up. Have you considered getting another opinion?

Good luck and I'll be thinking about you.
Susan

layne417
03-29-2006, 12:51 PM
To be honest, I don't know. My mom and dad have kept all of the scientific part out and are telling us the basics. At this point, I don't even know what medications they have tried or may be trying.

layne417
03-29-2006, 12:55 PM
She felt like at the Sarah Cannon Center they would use her as a guinea pig and she doesn't want that since there is such extreme risks of side effects. She feels selfish and guilty for wanting to prolong her life and not concerned about helping those out in the future. My son will be 2 in a couple of weeks and I feel selfish for wanting her to live to see Easter and his birthday because she was so looking forward to it. I know she's not doing real well; however she talks like she'll be around awhile. It just seems like a horrifying waiting game not knowing when I might get that call.

Lolly
03-29-2006, 01:06 PM
I think at this point if your mom wants to be kept comfortable and let things take their course, just give her lots of love and support, take your son to visit as often as possible and take lots of pictures. Maybe you could have an early Birthday/Easter celebration now?
My daughter was about your son's age when her grandfather died, and she remembers him plus we have pictures. It will mean a lot to your son later if you can turn this into a loving experience for him. I know it's hard to put aside the fear, but lots of hugs help.

<3 Lolly

Unregistered
03-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Layne;

My heart really goes out to you, your mother and family. This is such an awful disease. Lolly is right. Perhaps you could have the party now and take lots of pictures. Also, tell your mother that if she is offered clinical trials she should seriously consider taking them. She has nothing to lose and will get at least as good care as she would otherwise. Clinical trials offer so much support and ensure the patients do not get reduced treatment. Please keep us informed. I will be thinking and praying for you and your family.

Cathya

lisahammo
03-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Layne

I am so sorry to hear about your Mum. Sometimes the shock is so great, it is hard to move forward and think clearly. Clinical trials are wonderful, but maybe your Mum thinks it is all too hard, and who could blame her. Lolly has good advice.

Good luck.

Love Lisa

layne417
03-30-2006, 07:03 AM
My mom has taken a turn for for the worse and we were considering hospice to start today. This morning at 4:00am, she started trying to pull everything out that was hooked up to her and clawing at her neck because she couldn't breathe. All I can ask is that you keep us in your prayers and thanks for the advice.

chrislmelb
03-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Layne that is really awful and i hope evryone gets through the distressing time OK. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Christine

Liz J.
03-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Dear layne,

I am praying that your Mom does not suffer too much and that you and the rest of your family are given the strength to get through this time. I know watching a loved one suffer tears your heart out. I will keep your Mom and you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless.

Hugs,

Liz J.

Toril
03-31-2006, 04:05 AM
Dear Layne.

So sorry to hear about your mum. Hope she want suffer too muck. My thoughts are with you and your familiy.

Love Toril