PDA

View Full Version : First Herceptin yesterday

cherylynnie
03-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Hello Ladies,

I had my first Herceptin infusion yesterday, loaded dose. The onc. nurse told me that it was 546mg, and that the subsequent doses will be 420mg, if I recall correctly.

Either they gave me much too much benedryl or it was the effect of the Herceptin, but I was extremely tired yesterday. I feel better today, so far.
I was also very anxious yesterday. I took my own tylenol before the treatment. Have had no headache yet. Nearing the end of the drip I got very cold and started with the chills but no fever. I came home and rested most of the day. I was afraid I would not be able to sleep last night as I rested all day, but I slept fine, thankfully. I also think that I was emotionally drained, with the whole thing about finishing chemo but having to start another treatment (just finished chemo two weeks ago), I think that whole idea is having a big effect on me. But as long as I can try to get back to some kind of normalcy and if the effects from the Herceptin are minimal I think I will be okay.

My husband was nice and took me and worked from home yesterday. Which I was very thankful for, at times I think he realized how this is affecting me and then at other times he forgets. He was very supportive yesterday. Even cooked dinner, didn't clean up to good though HAHAHA.

Will see how the rest of the day goes.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Lolly
03-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi, it sounds like your loading dose went very well! Your chills and tiredness are pretty standard, and from my experiences of Herceptin solo you should be feeling mostly normal by tomorrow. Also, you may find that your system "adjusts" to Herceptin and symptoms may decrease as time goes by.
Congrats to you, and your husband is an angel :)

<3 Lolly

cherylynnie
03-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Lolly,

Thanks! I am hoping that the effects will be minimal. Just need my hair and nails to grow back and lose a few pounds which I put on from the Taxotere and steroids. Waiting for spring to come. I think it will be warmer this week than last. I want to go walking but can't go when it is real windy for fear my wig will blow off (ha). My plastic surgeon wants me to lose weight before he lifts the unaffected side. I had immediate reconstruction after mastectomy at the very end of Sept. 05.

Have a great day!

julierene
03-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Are you taking Herceptin to clear up mets or are you doing it adjuvantly for early stage?

lexigirl
03-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Cheryl,

It sounds like you did great. The herceptin isn't too bad. I get a little sleepy afterwards and may have loose stools for a couple of days after the infusion. So much easier than chemo for sure!

That was very nice of your DH to make dinner. I guess we can't complain when the kitchen isn't cleaned up as we like it. I don't dare say a thing or else he might not prepare dinner again! Hee hee...

Lexi

Maggie
03-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Hi Cheryl,

I think the standard first treatment is to get two Tylenol and Benedryl the first time. I got it for the first 3 treatments. I just get Tylenol now. You were tired from the Benedryl. I nodded and off and on my frist time and didn't realize it was from Benedrly. I was tired for the rest of that day. Once I stopped Benedryl, no more tiredness. I did have a constant runny nose and it became very crusty, too. Many of the other women have had this too. The crusties would "also" form a ball inside my nostrils and I'd put vasiline or the Ayr saline nasal gel inside.
The nose still runs some but not as bad.

I hope your treatments go well and you have no further problems! I don't look for them. I try to keep positive.

cherylynnie
03-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Julie,
I have Invasive Ductal BC S-II Grade III N-0 M-?. The onc says it hasn't spread but do we really know? Oh yeah I am ER+ also.

So to answer your question I am early stage HER2+++.

Lexi, and Maggie,

Thanks! I am hoping the future infusions will be the same with barely any effects except for being tired.

I had a runny and bloody nose throughout most of the chemo. That has stopped now.

I made dinner tonight - spinach lasagna - very light on the mozzerella. My son ate it happily, my daughter picked out the spinach. But I told her that we were eating before six oclock and only having water after 6:00. I have to lose the weight I gained from the Taxotere and steroids.

Cheryl

Have a good evening!