PDA

View Full Version : Tamoxifen and Herceptin tog.

kay b
03-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I was put on Navelbine and Herceptin for two months(For met to my lung and liver). My doc took an x-ray of me after two months of treatment and my tumors are actually getting bigger. My doc just put me on Tamoxifen(everyday) plus Herceptin every three weeks. Please let me know if anyone out there had any success with this treatment. Any side affects with this treatment? I was so excited about Navelbine with Herceptin but it did nothing for me.

Unregistered
03-29-2006, 02:21 AM
Please use the search engine top right hand corner - search for tamoxifen / cylcin d.

There was from memory a nordic trial showing that tamoxifen caused tumour growth in tumours that expressed high levels of cyclin D1.

Cyclin D1 is reported as having linkages to HER possibly a regulator maybe a promotor.

There was also another report of woman with certain genetic profiles not benifiting from tamoxifen, which was also reported on the site.

If you cant find them on the search please come back and I will try and find them. (You should I have just checked and they come up).

I must stress I am no expert. Best print out the trials. links etc and discuss with your advisor - the rate at which information changes must be a nightmare for them - and hence I guess the often cited maxim that patients are their own best advocates and it pays to try and keep informed if only for peace of mind.

RB

madubois63
03-29-2006, 06:01 AM
Since you are on Tamoxifen, I am going to assume your pre-menopausal. I have been getting Lupron shots (once every three months) and am on Femara. I took the weekly Herceptin, Carboplaten and Taxotere. My met's (liver and lungs) shrank within three months and were completely gone in six. I know it's different chemo's, but maybe you should discuss eliminating estrogen???
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´ -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´

Unregistered
03-29-2006, 06:56 AM
In terms of maintaining "fertility" if that is an issue there have been at least two trials with gonadtropins, to protect fertility. The other one was in Israel, and was posted to this site.

In more general terms if you have not done so as adjunct to treatments, you might like to consider with your advisors diet and particularly balancing the omega threes and sixes (Use search engine see posts). It is on the edge of "accepted" wisdom, but there is good evidence of links to HER, and as a general but unscientific observation several of those who are longstanding sufferers posting on this site seem to take their diets seriously as part of their rsik management strategy.

RB

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22853&highlight=fertility

kay b
03-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. If you don't mind, I would like to hear your whole story as to your first treatment to now. I am having such struggle with this (over 2 years), sometimes wonder if I can have successful story like yours and other ladies.

kay b
04-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Thank you for your reply. If you don't mind, I would like to hear about your whole treatment; from your very first to now. I have tried so many different chemo drugs but none are so far working for me. What kind of side effects did you have with Tomoxifen and are you still on that drug?