PDA

View Full Version : Brain MRI only for stage 4? blood pressure problems?

Kimberly Lewis
03-28-2006, 03:59 AM
Hi - I have been asking for a brain MRI now my last two visits. One rejected it right away. My new Onc says it is more for stage four patients that I don't need one (stage 3a). Any thoughts on this and if I should be more aggressive in seeking one? No symptoms right now...

I also have had a regular climb in my blood pressure for the last several Dr. visits. Yesterday it was 189 over 91. The Onc says it was just stress and not to worry. I have gained 10lbs while doing treatments (chemo, rads, Herceptin) and am walking 3 miles a day now and south beach dieting. Is High blood pressure a norm for us as a result of all this junk? Any opinions? Thanks, kim

tousled1
03-28-2006, 05:12 AM
My son passed away 4 fours ago and I then developed high blood pressure. Had been on medication to control the BP. I was diagnosed with IDC, Stage III, ER/PR-, HER2+ in late October 2005. I began neoadjunct chemo early December and since I started chemo my blood pressure has been normal. My doctor took me off blood pressure medication 2 months ago and so far my blood pressure has been good. You would think that the blood pressure would go up when you are diagnosed with cancer but for some strange reason mine is now normal. Go figure.

Sheila
03-28-2006, 06:03 AM
Kim

The elevated B/P could be from the chemo taxing your heart. Are you still on Herceptin? If so, maybe a muga or echo are in order. I would insist on the MRI...there have been some whose 1st place of mets are to the brain....INSIST ON IT for your own peace of mind!

Sherryg683
03-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Insist on the brain scan, it should be done. My friend just had one done and she's stage II. ..sherryg683

StephN
03-28-2006, 01:24 PM
You can tell your med onc that you know firsthand of cases of brain mets where there were NO symptoms.
Cite mine if you like.
I was stage IV at the time, but had been NED and off chemos for 2.5 years when an annual brain screening MRI showed two mets in my cerebellum. One behind my left ear was 3cm - this is ONE INCH in diameter.
No symptoms that would normally be associated with such a tumor were exhibited by me. I am not the only one with a story like this.
My tumor came as a shock as I was feeling perfectly normal - even the rad oncs were testing me for all sorts of nerve and muscle coordination and found no impairment.
Gamma Knife was the treatment chosen for these two brain mets. It was successful.

Keep insisting - as it really IS a good idea to get a baseline, as many of us have some tiny spots in our brains from other causes and it is good to know about those beforehand.

Bev
03-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Hi, Sorry about your loss Kate. My BP went down through surgery and chemo with occasional spikes. I've asked the onc nurses and they have said perhaps it's the weight loss or the technique. One nurse has said if they apply too much pressure it will result in a higher reading. I know my upper reading varies by 30 pts and the lower by 15. I think stress can raise it. It looks like in any case you need meds for it. BB

Kimberly Lewis
03-29-2006, 05:20 AM
I guess blood pressure is very unpredicable. I just had the muga last week and asked Genentec the manufacturer via email what a 5 point drop meant. My old oncologist left a message on my phone with no explanation and it freaked me out. They have called me twice now and sent me a form to fill out with details for their records. I am calling my family Dr. about the BP today. Thanks everyone for all the input!! I will put on my determined face and force an MRI at next meeting with new Onc.

I too and sorry Kate, I have said many times that the one thing I am grateful for is that this cancer is mine and not one of my children or others that I love. I am grateful for all the advances and pray that, to our children, cancer will be a thing of the past like polio.

Susan
03-29-2006, 05:33 AM
I developed high blood pressure this past 6 months too. Mine was always on the low side, and after chemo, it became high. I started herceptin in Dec, but it contined to be too high. My muga scans have been very good. My family doctor put me on a mild diuritic and that's been working out good. So I just have to add another pill to my world!

Sue

madubois63
03-29-2006, 06:08 AM
Susan - please watch your potassium level!!!! My mom's doc switched her blood pressure med's (without telling her) to a pb pill with a mild diuretic. She ended up in the ER confused and very sick. Turns out the "mild" diuretic had messed up her potassium level...
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´ -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´

Unregistered
03-29-2006, 06:29 AM
One of the few more or less accepted benifits by the medical profession inclduing inclusion in a recent continuing education module for doctors is omega three for cardiac and circulatory health. (see posts on this site for links or search on web) ( and more important but less widely considered you need to balance the omega three and six).

As usual significant dietary changes should be discussed with your advisors.

RB