PDA

View Full Version : Long term survival with long term chemo

Toril
03-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Hi!
I am 36 years old and have been fighting BC for almost two years now. Dx with livermets Feb. 2005. For nearly one year treated with Navelbine and Herceptin. I have been doing very well on that combo, but unfortunately now the mets have started to crow again. We will now try taxotere and herceptin.

I would like to hear from people who have have been battling this with long term chemo and how you all manage to cope. I need some inspiration from people who have been at this for a long time.

Thanks!
Toril

Patty H
03-26-2006, 04:08 PM
I've been at this for 5 1/2 years. A lot of chemo but I do take breaks form the chemo and I think that helps keep me going. We keep hanging in there knowing if we just make it a little longer they always seem to come up with a new drug.
Patty H

lisahammo
03-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi Toril

Sorry to hear that your mets have become active again. As you know from my previous posts that I was first dx in 2003, and have been having chemo on and off since. I am now having my third lot in 2 1/2 years. This time I am having Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin. I have to admit that my levels are not coming down as quickly as I would like, but I will speak to my onc about this soon.

I hate the idea of being on/off chemo for the rest of my life, but the alternative is worse. I realise now that it is a part of my life, and I just have to get on with things. Luckily I don't have too many side effects so that it interferes with my daily living, and my son isn't affected too badly. Believe me, I know how you feel, but I think if you can accept that this is the way things are going to be, it gets a bit easier.

Good luck.

Love Lisa

Toril
03-28-2006, 04:39 AM
Thanks for responding! I do belive you are right: Accepting it, will do it a lot easier. When I was told I had mets about 14 months ago, of course - my world fell apart. I did not belive it was possible to continue. I had just finished my treatment for preliminary cancer - how could I possible find the strength to start treatment again? But I did. I was put on Navelbine and Herceptin - very well tolerated, and it made it possible for me to live a normal life. And I found this web-site! Reading about all the women who had beat this and was still alive!! That gave me the hope that I needed, to belive there is a future for me. i had soo much hope that it would be possible for me to continue with Herceptin alone, for a long long time. But for the moment it does not look like that will be it for me.
After nearly one year the beast started to grow again. So as I told you, I am now on a different chemo with herceptin.
Well, that is living with cancer - ups and downs. And to me it has been very, very important to see that others have managed before me. that whats make me belive that I also can do it.
Therefore: Thank you very much for sharing your story, and good luck to you.

Love Toril

lisahammo
03-29-2006, 02:26 AM
Toril

That is exactly how I felt. I really thought I would be dead within 3 months, and could not face the thought of doing any more chemo. However, once the initial shock wore off, and I calmed down a bit, I knew I just had to keep going. There's too much I want to do. Everybody says "Oh you're amazing, I don't know how you do it". But you just have to, you have no choice. And in the meantime, you appreciate every single day.

Good luck. Keep us informed of your progress.

Love Lisa