PDA

View Full Version : Abraxane and Xeloda

hope
03-25-2006, 03:05 PM
My Onc and I were discussing about putting me on Abraxane (which I am currently on) and Xeloda. I am progressing slightly in the lungs so maybe adding xeloda as a combo might work better. I have been looking on the internet for more info but haven't able to find anything with this particular combo. Has this been approved from the FDA as a combo for metastatic breast cancer? Is any one on this combo? What are the side effects and the effectiveness? Hope

Shell
03-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Hope-

I've certainly read of those on other taxanes with xeloda, so abraxane with xeloda does not seem that surprising.

good luck with things,
shell

kk1
03-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Hi Hope;

I did weekly Taxotere and xeloda and it was tolerable, nasty skin rashes on my hands and loss of taste were the main problems. I assume with abraxane it would be alot easier to tolerate as it is the carrier solution in the taxotere/taxol that causes most of the side effects.

kk1

Lolly
03-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Hope, I have a chemo buddy who sees the same oncologist as I do; she's been fighting inflammatory bc for 5 years and our onc has devised several "creative combo's" for her. Currently she's on Abraxane/Herceptin and her lesion's are regressing. She was on Xeloda/Herceptin previously until she started progressing again. So I can't answer your question regarding side effects of Xeloda/Abraxane, but she's tolerated Abraxane/Herceptin very well. I don't know much about possible side effects of Abraxane, I'm sorry.

But, I myself am now on Xeloda/Navelbine/Herceptin, with almost no side effects other than low blood counts, and since adding Xeloda we've seen a very good response, so I hope that's encouraging regarding Xeloda. It can be very effective, and from what I've read about Xeloda studies the key to minimizing side effects is to start low, see how the low dose is tolerated, then if indicated gradually build the dose to achieve maximum effectiveness with minimal side effects, as each patient responds differently. I hope that's helpful, and maybe talk to your onc about that approach.

<3 Lolly

Sheila
03-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Lolly
What is your doasage of Xeloda, as I start tomorrow...1500 mg in the am and 1000 in the pm....they are now combining this with the Herceptin for the stubborn nodes in the collar bone area!
I have felt so good on the Herceptin, hope this doesn't change anything!

Lolly
03-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Sheila, I'm on the lowest dose; 500mg am and 500mg. pm. The plan was to increase slowly, but I showed immediate response and so we've just continued on the same low dose. I too have stubborn neck and collarbone nodes, and they're finally shrinking on this combo: Xeloda/Navelbine(also low dose)/Herceptin. I see my onc today, will let you know if anything changes. Good luck with Xeloda, I've found it very easy, my only problem has been low blood counts but that's been an issue all along with Navelbine, so I don't think the Xeloda is a huge factor there, although my nurses said it CAN lower your counts although not usually as much as other chemos.

<3 Lolly