PDA

View Full Version : Reconstuction - Oncologist is Against It

Meeskas
03-25-2006, 12:50 PM
I am 3 years out - Stage 3, 4.5 cm tumor with 15 lymph nodes positive. I had masectomy, AC, Radiation, Taxotere, and 6 months of weekly Herceptin. My oncologist gave me the Herceptin off trial.

Now I have been looking into reconstruction. My oncologist is against it. He said it is "like waking a dead animal". He said there is no clinical evidence and that he cannot tell me "No", but he is against it.

I told him that the plastic surgeon I met with has been doing this surgery since the late 80's and that out of thousands, she has only had a handful of patients reoccur. He said that was a biased opinion because she probably treats most patients who are early stage breast cancer and that I was not early stage breast cancer and that most people with my stage of disease don't even make it to the point where they can consider reconstruction.

So, I am looking for some input from some of you out there that are HER+++ and had reconstruction after treatment.

Thanks

tousled1
03-25-2006, 01:19 PM
If my oncologist said "most people with my stage of disease don't even make it to the point where they can consider reconstruction" I believe I would be looking for another oncologist. I am Stage III and going through neoadjunct chemo - had 4 rounds A/C and have 3 more rounds of taxatore before surgery.

Unregistered
03-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Oh my gosh, he's got you dead already. That's the problem with some oncs: they give you no hope, they go by the book and they are grim even when *trying* to be upbeat. I would find another onc. asap. Try to find one that will go to bat for you.

Meeskas
03-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Before you jump all over him, realize that this is a man who gave me Herceptin 3 years ago off label when it was only available in clinical trials or for metastatic disease. I asked for his opinion and he gave me his honest opinion, not just what he thought I wanted to hear.

So now, I am trying to gather as much info as I can so I can make a decision wheather to go for reconstruction or not.

clisa
03-27-2006, 03:55 AM
I am one of the rarer ladies who has not had surgery on my breast(s) yet - we are still on chemo trying to control agressive liver mets but I know that when my onc said to me in the beggining that I may not want to even bother with a masectomy since I may not be around long enough for it to be worth it that I would be looking for a new onc soon - and I was right. Listen to your heart.

L

mts
03-27-2006, 06:42 AM
My male surgical onc in Fla insisted that lumpectomy was as good as mastectomy. When I went to a female surg onc, she insisted I have a mastectomy. The Plastic surgeon insisted on mastectomy. Because I had multifocal disease, I sought 3 opinions and the final opinion from a UPenn tumor board was: 3 were for lumpectomy and 2 were for mastectomy. All the male docs suggested the lumpectomy and the female docs suggested mastectomy... like that should make a difference. In the end I opted for lumpectomy.

I know you are looking for reconstruction, but I think that doc's decisions stem from their personal familiarity, knowledge and experience.
I really believe that all doc's have their reasons for whatever surgical (or not) procedure they deem appropriate. In the end, the decision is really up to you. If you feel you have the cancer under control- or eliminated all together... go for it!

Maria

Sheila
03-27-2006, 12:23 PM
I answered you other post about reconstruction...Hope it helps

Unregistered
03-27-2006, 01:39 PM
If you have not already looked search above top RH corner under masectomy where there has already been some discussion - links to other resources etc.

You may also want to consider argumensts as to whether surgery can through the repair process activate inflamatory pathways, ( inflamatory pathways are considered by some as implicated in BC) degree of surgery, options etc.

RB

Unregistered
03-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Meekas,
I have a friend who was stage III C and had a bi-lateral done with reconstruction at the time. This was 6 months after radiation was done. She is doing fine and is 6 mo. from having it done.

Here are some things you may want to consider?
Your age? Do you want to go on without a breast for he rest of your life? It's an option for some.
Have you looked at all the different kinds that are available to you? Which one would you have?
Would it make you FEEL better?

Meekas, It's all about you and your self image of yourself and how you feel? I wouldn't let ANY doctor tell me what I am going to have done. This is your body and whatever makes you feel good about what has been done to you then you should go for it. I am a big believer in what my gut tells me to do and then does it. No hesitations, no regrets. No one to blame but me, because it was my decision. Good luck with yours. Talk to some plastic surgeons, you have the one you like, get some referrals from her, patients who had cancer and talk to them. I had one who had only patients call me who had it done for cosmetic reasons. They had no idea what I was about. Best to you