PDA

View Full Version : omega-3 PUFA DHA downregulates Her-2/neu oncogene expression in human breast cancer c

Unregistered
03-23-2006, 03:13 PM
IT SAYS (last line)..."In addition, this is the first study demonstrating that omega-3 PUFA DHA downregulates Her-2/neu oncogene expression in human breast cancer cells."

(DHA is found in fish oil or can be made by the body from n3 18:3 Linolenic Acid (flax seed perillia etc see other posts using search engine above)

RB

"In addition, this is the first study demonstrating that omega-3 PUFA DHA downregulates Her-2/neu oncogene expression in human breast cancer cells."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15901996&query_hl=22&itool=pubmed_docsum

ABSTRACT

1: Eur J Cancer Prev. 2005 Jun;14(3):263-70. Related Articles, Links
Click here to read
Exogenous supplementation with omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6n-3) synergistically enhances taxane cytotoxicity and downregulates Her-2/neu (c-erbB-2) oncogene expression in human breast cancer cells.

Menendez JA, Lupu R, Colomer R.

Department of Medicine, Breast Cancer Translational Research Laboratory, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute, Evanston, Illinois 60201, USA. jmenendez@enh.org

Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6n-3) and other omega-3 and omega-6 PUFAs have raised interest as novel anticancer agents by exerting selective cytotoxic effects on human cancer cells without affecting normal tissues. Here, we examined the in vitro relationship between exogenous supplementation with DHA and breast cancer chemosensitivity to taxanes. We measured cell viability in the highly metastatic human breast cancer cell line MDA-MB-231 exposed sequentially to DHA followed by paclitaxel (Taxol) or docetaxel (Taxotere). As DHA by itself showed cytotoxic effects, possible synergistic interactions between DHA and taxanes were assessed, employing the combination index (CI) method and the isobologram analysis. Both methods showed a strong synergism (CI approximately 0.5; P<0.005) between DHA and taxanes in MDA-MB-231 cells. When the increase in taxanes efficacy was measured by dividing the IC50 values (50% inhibitory concentrations) obtained when the cells were exposed to taxanes alone by those after DHA pre-exposure, we found that DHA enhanced the cytotoxic activity of taxanes against MDA-MB-231 cells in a dose-dependent manner (up to 13- and 5-fold increase in Taxol and Taxotere efficacy, respectively). Importantly, sequential exposure to DHA followed by taxanes also yielded strong synergism in Her-2/neu (c-erbB-2)-overexpressing and taxanes-resistant SK-Br3 and BT-474 breast cancer cells. Moreover, exogenous supplementation with DHA significantly decreased the expression of Her-2/neu-codified p185(Her-2/neu) oncoprotein (up to 78% reduction in BT-474 cells). Our results provide experimental support to the hypothesis that omega-3 PUFAs can be used as modulators of tumor cell chemosensitivity and provide the rationale for in vivo preclinical investigation. In addition, this is the first study demonstrating that omega-3 PUFA DHA downregulates Her-2/neu oncogene expression in human breast cancer cells.

PMID: 15901996 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Maryanne
03-26-2006, 07:03 AM
BRAVO!! RB....

you have been so hard at work on this one, you must now take your due bows.

let me thank you personally for all your posts and hard work at helping us.

Maryanne

CLTann
03-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Any organizations need several key people that separate a vigorous group from the ordinary. RB is one of those important contributors and organizers that make a difference for our group. We all salute him for his concientious and untiring spirit working for all of us.

Ann

Unregistered
03-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Thank you for your kind words.

It is a two way street. I have my own motivation. I have learnt a lot in the process. I have significantly changed my own diet. I am challenged by other viewpoints. It makes me feel better to feel maybe I am helping a little.

RB

Kim in CA
03-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Your work on this is very much appreciated. I too have added fish oil to my diet with a higher concentration of the DHA. I love reading your posts, don't ever stop!

Kim in CA