PDA

View Full Version : Taxatore Side Effects

tousled1
03-23-2006, 06:44 AM
Just wanted to know if anyone while on Taxatore experienced extreme fatigue for about 4 days after and also severe bone pain. Just had my first round of taxatore Wednesday. Felt good Wednesday and Thursday but Friday afternoon was overcome with extreme fatigue -- so extreme that for the next 4 days I did nothing but sleep. Felt like I had a sleeping sickness. In addition I am experiencing bone pain and pins and needles up and down my spine. My premed was Decadron the day before, day of and day after. Thanks.

kristen
03-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Hi Kate,

Are you on Taxotere after A/C? I was on Tax with Carbo and Herceptin. I felt that way later on, after it accumulted. I would call your onc. or nurse and let them know about how you are feeling.
They may be able to get you something to make you feel better. Hang in there.

cherylynnie
03-23-2006, 10:56 AM
The nurses kept telling me that the Taxotere was going to be easier than the A&C. Then they started asking me if I wanted the full dose or if I wanted it over three weeks. So I assumed if it is easier than the A&C I can do it all at once. SO I took my full dose on a Wednesday and by Sunday afternoon I started feeling beat up. Then by 6:00pm I felt like I was hit by a truck I could hardly move. Then I remembered that when the nurse was taking the needle out of my port she told me - "NOw in 3-4 days you may get flu like symtoms." Well she wasn't kidding.

Up until this point I had my mother here at my house with me. She was there for this treatment but left on that Saturday after 41/2 months at my house. She came two days after I was diagnosed (Bless her). So for the next treatment I changed to recieved the Taxotere over a three week period, as I was back to taking care of two kids, cooking, cleaning, and of course laundry.

The Dr. told me that the effects were so bad because it was on the back of the A&C. I wanted to get the chemo finished but I didn't want to feel like I had been run over by a truck everytime I had a treatment. I think I started to feel better by Tuesday night. So it was about 55 hours of feeling absolutely lousey from that first full dose. The lower dose treatment was much easier, but of course took longer.

Hang in there! It will get better!

tousled1
03-23-2006, 03:04 PM
I had 4 rounds of A/C before starting the taxatore. I'm glad I'm not the only person who gets wiped out from it. I have 3 more treatments to go and really want to finish it up and have my surgery. My tumor is shrinking but at the same time I don't like the thought of it being in my body any longer than it has to be.

Maggie C
03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Kate -

My experience with Taxotere is just like the other postings. Treatment on Friday and by Monday afternoon I started to crash. Tuesdays were my worse day when I also told friends I felt like I had been "run over by a truck" with worse than flu achiness. I also had Decadron the day before, of and after treatment. I felt my best (out of the 3 weeks) after treatment for about 3 days and could do "anything". Maybe it was the Decadron. I was also on Herceptin and am still taking Herceptin.

Yes, the affects become cumulative. My oncologist and I negotiated a reduced dosage for the last 2 (of 6) treatments - down from 125 mg to 118mg. That helped a lot. I weight 124 and felt that maybe the dosage I was on was tougher than necessary based on bodymass/med ratio.

I did not have severe pain but did have some numbness in my toes and hyper sensitivity in my fingertips. It goes away in time (or so they say).

I also found that taking a sleeping pill each night, starting with the day before treatment helped with the insomia I suffered from the chemo and Decadron.

I've been through 2 full courses of Taxotere-Herception and found that the "loading" first dose was the worse. Each time I became neutropenic, and actually had to be hospitalized after my third treatment. From there on out I insisted on having Neuprogen after each treatment (5 injections once a day) and was fine.

Hope this helps. Originally my onocologist said some people just "fly" through this protocol. I'd like to know what planet they are living on : )

Maggie

Robyn
03-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Going to be starting this regime...I already asked onc for the lower dosage...I want to be able to function...have two small kids, work etc....great advice Ladies....it helps to know what to expect.

Robyn
xx

Maggie C
03-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Robyn-

I worked from home the week after my treatments, then was able to go into the office the remainder of the final two weeks. However, since I have a 2+ hour roundtrip commute, on top of working, I found that I could seldom make it through a whole day at work.

I don't know how it works in Canada, but I was able to get a temporary disability placard for 6 months while I was under treatment (3 months). This really helped because somedays just walking into the building at work was a chore.

Let people help you, like do the grocery shopping for you. My mom came and stayed with me, arriving before my bad days began and stayed until I was back on my feet. You will also need help with routine household chores like cleaning, washing, etc.

I had a friend who coordinated those who wanted to help out. Ladies from my small group at church came over and even did my ironing for me.

Best wishes.

Maggie

cherylynnie
03-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Kate,

I had a mastectomy before I started chemo, so I wasn't pressed for time. The cancer was already removed. The second and subsequent cycles may be easier than the first. My 3rd and 4th cycles of the A&C were easier than the first two. But by that time, I was receiving the neulasta and anrinesp as I needed it to keep by blood counts up.

Good luck with your decision, my prayers are with you!

tousled1
03-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Cheryl,

I've been getting the neulasta shots and procrit shots since my second round of A/C. This first round of taxatore they didn't give me the shots and my counts this week were good. I'm finally beginning to feel human again so I guess I'll have one week when I feel like I've been run over. I suppose this is a small price to pay to beat this beast!