PDA

View Full Version : ***Question on "acceptable" heart rate***

RhondaH
03-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Hi everyone,

I had my most recent Herceptin this past Thurs and the last few days when I have been walking on the treadmill, when I check my "heart rate" on the monitor, my starting heart rate is like starting rate 80, mid 52, mid 62, and ending 108. The ONLY echo I had was 8/15/05, just prior to starting Herceptin and when I last saw my onc, he said we will plan on staying on Herceptin until 8/10/06, but has made no mention of further echos, should I have this checked out or is this nothing to worry about? Thank you.

Rhonda

kimber
03-23-2006, 05:34 AM
Hi Rhonda. You should have had a base line MUGA prior to Herceptin. Then at 3 months, then another 3 months. At this point you need to insist on having a MUGA ASAP. Your infraction should be above 50 in order to stay on Herceptin. - kim

tousled1
03-23-2006, 05:54 AM
I have not started herceptin yet -- still going through neoadjunct chemo. Did 4 rounds A/C and just had my first of 4 rounds of Taxatore. My oncologist insists on an echocardiogram every 3 months. I imagine once I have surgery and start the herceptin that she will also want MUGAs every 3 months. I would insist on a MUGA.

sassy
03-23-2006, 06:00 AM
Rhonda,

You should be having muga or echo every three months. I had baseline echo before A/C then have had them every three months since while on herceptin.

Sassy
________
Glass pipe pictures (http://glasspipes.net/)

Yorkiegirl
03-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Rhonda.

I have just started cardio Training at the Health Club, I do the bike, treadmill, and couple other things.

I have a Heart Rate Monitor on at all times. When I start it's about 72-75, after getting going on the machines the highest I have gotten was 120. My Onc told me not to let my Heart Rate get over that rate at this time.
If I see it climbing I slow to a lower pace and keep on working out. I am doing this to strengthn my heart due to being on Herceptin. I have a Personal Trainer who is keeps a close on me.

I also take 300mg of COQ10 daily. I also have Echo's every 3 months and so far I have been good. I hope my next Echo will show improvement since starting my training.
Not sure if that is what you were asking about, Heart Rate and Exercise?

Vicki

MCS
03-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi Rhonda,

My onc makes me take a mugga every three months. He wanted to keep a numerical tab on my heart. the cardiologist said an ecco was enough but the onc disagreed strongly with him. I'm gettin another one on Monday, my third one. Will take herceptin till end of year

Luv

MCS ( maria)

Unregistered
03-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Rhonda,

I believe many docs follow the guidelines for echo monitioring schedule from that used in the HERA and NCI clinical adjuvant Herceptin trials. You can check the exact requirements of the Hera trial by checking with the NEJM. I believe that echos were done prior to therapy, three months out, six months out and then thereafter I don't recall the schedule.

Bev
03-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi, i guess you should push for the once every 3 month MUGA. That's what I've been having as well. Not a doc but it's odd your heart rate would go down mid workout. What I'm finding is the level of exercise that produced a heart rate of 135 before chemo is now producing a heart rate of 150. I just chalked it up to getting out of shape from playing hookie from the gym during chemo. Good Luck. BB

michele u
03-24-2006, 10:54 PM
my resting heart rate is usually in the 100's! Heart rate really has nothing to do with heart function. The muga's check heart function. I don't think my heart rate has ever been in the 80's!