PDA

View Full Version : medicare question

sarah
03-22-2006, 05:55 AM
I now live in France and I recently was accepted for disability and now I've received a medicare card. While I'm living here I know it's of no use but if I return to the US....? anyway it says "Hospital (Part A) benefits only." do I pay for this? If I got sick and the US and was hospitalized, would this cover me? and how and to what extent? Is it only for hospitalization? I'm really out of touch and since I didn't expect to get anything, this is a surprise.
thanks
sarah

mts
03-22-2006, 06:48 AM
Bonjour Sarah,

For all Medicare Q&A's got to www.medicare.gov (http://www.medicare.gov)

I think you will find EVERYTHING you need to know about Part A & B
there is a section for individuals living abroad. Its pretty easy to follow...

Hint- go to Eligibility and Enrollment and just navigate through the info. I found this site very helpful for my mom.

Bonne chance,

Maria

Sandy H
03-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Sarah, Medicare Part A is free you don't have to pay for it. It only covers hospitalization. Part B you have to enroll and pay for roughly $75.00 a month and pays 80%. it covers, physicians, therapy, services outside the hospital. Now they have Part D for drugs but I am hearing its not doing much for most people. You really need a co-insurance with Medicare such as AARP, BC/BS there maybe others that will pick up the 20% which doesn't sound like much but if you have a chronic illness it adds up fast. Hope this helps, hugs, Sandy

sarah
03-23-2006, 12:11 PM
many thanks for the info. I'll check out the website.
Also it was because many of you on the site were incouraging about asking for disability that I put in for it, so many thanks for that also.
sarah