PDA

View Full Version : Please Please Read

Unregistered
03-21-2006, 05:12 PM
I am sure many of you are wondering why I keep harping on about the potential importance of the omega three six balance in breast cancer. The growth reductions of 60% - 70 % tie in with the French trial previously mention where women undergoing excisions with the highest third of the breast tissue DHA EPA content had a seventy percent less chance of the tumours being invasive.

This trial is one example of many why. It is not easy to understand, but will repay a little time looking a the tables and conclusion.

I looked up the cancer cell line and it looks like it is ER+

The issue of methods of delivery is secondary in terms of the omega three six issue and dont worry if it goes over your head - I am struggling with it.

If you do not understand it print it out AND GIVE IT TO YOUR ADVISOR to read. It will at least give them food for thought. Obvioulsy changes in diet should be discussed with your advisors in relation to your treatment etc. etc.

I totally agree with the conclusion that more research is needed.

RB

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/10/24/8275

ABSTRACT

The potential importance of dietary FA in carcinogenesis has been strongly supported by studies in rodents in which diets rich in n-6 polyunsaturated FA are tumor-promoting, whereas those rich in n-3 polyunsaturated FA are protective (39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45) . Study models include dietary supplementation in chemically induced rat carcinogenesis (39, 40, 41) and modulation of human breast cancer cell xenografts in athymic mice (43, 44, 45) . Primary tumors as well as metastases were inhibited by n-3 polyunsaturated FA and promoted by n-6 polyunsaturated FA dietary supplementation. The results with n-6 polyunsaturated FA are particularly disturbing in view of the increased use in the United States of n-6–enriched vegetable oils, and they confound dietary recommendations regarding substitution of polyunsaturated FA for saturated FA to reduce cancer risk. A potential use for n-3 polyunsaturated FA as a nutritional adjuvant therapy was suggested by studies with a xenograft model in mice in which metastases were inhibited by dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated FA initiated both before and after surgical removal of the primary tumors (46) . In the same model, dietary n-3 polyunsaturated FA was shown to increase the efficacy of doxorubicin in inhibiting tumor growth (47) . Similarly, the growth of human mammary carcinoma MX-1 implants in athymic mice was more sensitive to inhibition by mitomycin C when animals received fish oil-enriched diets (48) . These studies not only suggest potential benefits of n-3 polyunsaturated FA dietary supplementation for breast cancer patients but also emphasize the importance of developing an understanding of mechanisms by which these FA exert their beneficial effects.

Despite continuous interest in the tumor-inhibitory role for n-3 dietary FAs, molecular mechanisms remain poorly understood. Our study may establish a paradigm for the design of future studies aimed at elucidating molecular pathways of cell modification by dietary FA. In addition, our data draw attention to the usefulness of LDL as a reagent for monitoring polyunsaturated FA intake by clinical trial subjects. Whereas this is widely accepted by the cardiovascular research community, it has been mostly ignored by the cancer researchers.

Lolly
03-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks RB, I've bookmarked the link for review. I find that if I read these and then go back and read again later, the second time (or third) time the pieces begin to fit together.

<3 Lolly