PDA

View Full Version : running out of options - limited

lindaw
03-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Dear all
I feel like I am running out of options for my skin mets.
I have had doxorubicin/doxetaxol - pre surgery.
Taxol
Navelbine
Xeloda
Carboplatin
and now doxil which is kind of keeping them stable though some are opening and red.
Less is available in Australia and I go between feeling hopeless and ok.

Linda

Lolly
03-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Dear Linda, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. I know how this can sneak up on you, but it seems to me there are more drugs to try, and here's a list I "borrowed" from a now unknown site, hope it helps. <3 Lolly

Preferred single agents for the treatment of recurrent or metastatic breast cancer:

Anthracyclines (doxorubicin or epirubicin).
Taxanes (paclitaxel or docetaxel).
Capecitabine.
Vinorelbine.
CAF/FAC - fluorouracil/doxorubicin/cyclophosphamide.
CEF - cyclophosphamide/epirubicin/fluorouracil.
AC - doxorubicin/cyclophosphamide.
EC - epirubicin/cyclophosphamide.
AT - doxorubicin/docetaxel or doxorubicin/paclitaxel.
CMF - cyclophosphamide/methotrexate/fluorouracil.
docetaxel/capecitabine.
Gemcitabine + platinol or carboplatin.

Other active drugs for the treatment of recurrent or metastatic breast cancer:

gemcitabine.
platinum drugs.
etoposide.
vinblastine.
fluorouracil.
Mitomycin C

lindaw
03-21-2006, 12:23 AM
Dear lolly
You always reassure me.Thanks for the list - not sure why I'm trapped in this down mood. I actually got a phone call from Carol last week and she was so supportive but I looked into a trial for Phase 1 and they told me I had too many immune suppressing chemos- that sent me back. I am not sure which ones are approved here . I should check with Lyn.

love
Linda

Unregistered
03-21-2006, 03:20 AM
I know I grind on like an old record but its the omega three six balance again.

I have read a number of trials that omega three hepls in skin disorders.

More fundamental I read a trial recently suggesting that the body uses significant qantities on omega three in the skin. I do not recall if I saved it, but will post it if I refind it.

Looking at diet and particularly balancing omega three and sixes and taking some fish oil or eating oily fish may help, if nothing else as to general health. As to general principles look at the books "Zone Inflamation Diet", and "Cracking the Metabolic Code". I have also seen books dealing with skin disorders and omega 3 DHA EPA etc.

My apploogies if you have already considered this.

There are lots of posts on the general subject on this site.

RB

Esther
03-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Linda have you considered Miltex? I know that others with skin mets have benefited from this.

Lolly
03-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Yes, Esther, I believe Sandy H. is one who's been using Miltex. Hope she sees this.

<3 Lolly

Sandy H
03-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks Lolly, and Esther for bringing this up, I did see this. When I see skin mets I try to jump in and help. I have used Miltex for quite a while and it has served me well. My e-mail is sanhenry@prexar.com if you want to e-mail me. Also I have used supplements to help as well. Wishing you well. hugs, Sandy H.

lindaw
03-22-2006, 04:00 AM
T

Dear All
Thanks for the encouragement - again. I was getting a sense that Miltex wasn'yy working for some and when I did ask my Onc he said we could get it but would have to pay and it was expensive - he didn't seem to mention the compassionate program. Perhaps it doesn't exist for Australia.
Had to see my surgeon tiday as have to get a new port put in as rgw other has skin mets on it and accessing it makes them open. He seemed concerned and now wants me to go to radiation.
How much fish oil should I take . I get so confused with supplements.

love
linda

Sandy H
03-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Linda the Miltex is not a cure. It can be used with/without chemo. It helps the itching and burning. It is an oil solution so it goes a long way. An ounce bottle would last a long time unless you was using it for the whole chest area. Gloves comes with it. I am not sure what one bottle would cost. I never had to pay for it. Ask your oncologist nurse if she can check out the compassionate care program for you. I thought it was available to every one. May want to research it on the internet. If I had extra bottle I would be happy to send you one. Maybe, someone else can help you with a bottle. Wishing you well. hugs, Sandy

lindaw
03-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks everyone - I will look into the Miltex and ask my Onc what chemos are available to me.

love
Linda