PDA

View Full Version : Tumor Marker Question?

Yorkiegirl
03-20-2006, 01:50 PM
My first tests were done a month ago. I had the CA27.29 result was 24.
My CEA was 7.3 which say's it is high.

Just had my 2nd tests done CA27.29 still at 24
but my CEA is now 7.9.
So it means it went up .6 in a months time.

Should I be worried? What should I ask my Onc? Should anymore tests be done?

I am 6 months into a year of Herceptin.

Vicki

Becky
03-20-2006, 04:18 PM
It is not necessarily a worry. Some ladies on this board normally run a high CEA and do not and have not had mets. Your CA 24/27 is in the normal range and has not changed (nor has your CEA for that matter). If you are concerned, you can ask your onc to run them again and say why. Perhaps you can wait until a month passes (I am assuming that you get it run every 3 months).

These readings (so far) seem like what is normal for you. There are other reasons the CEA can be high but I can't remember what they are right now. The thing with readings is the pattern. If it is chaotic and all over the place it is different than one that is continually going up (and your CEA reading is the same. 0.6 is not going up and is statistically insignificant).

My policy is that if I am concerned or need (medical) reassurance, I ask my onco. You may want to get your bloodwork done again alittle early just to see that the readings are exactly the same as they were the first 2 times and then you can conclude that its just you and how you are.

Hope this helps you alittle bit.

Warm regards,

Becky

kristen
03-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi Vicki,

I agree with Becky, this may be normal for you. But CEA, from what my doctors told me, is they don't get worried about it until it gets over 5 which yours is. The test they run on me, normal is 1-2.5/ Mine generally run around 3.1-3.5, but again they don't get worried until over 5. Anything else on your blood work out of whack? That maybe why they are not worried? I have been wondering if or when how long does it take for your blood chemistries to catch up with your TM's or symptoms? Are you having any symptoms? You might want to do a personal message to Steph N, this has been her biggest predictor for mets, she may have more insight or be able to help you out. But I bet in the long run, Becky is probably right. Best to you.

Yorkiegirl
03-21-2006, 06:53 AM
Kristen--No Nothing else in my blood work is out of whack, every thing is just perfect. My MRI almost a month ago was perfect as well. I am having no symptoms at all. Still on weekly Herceptin until 1st of September.

Becky-- Maybe this will be normal for me, I am having the tests done monthly, so I guess I will see what next month's is.

Vicki