PDA

View Full Version : Microcalcifications & cancer tests

G. Ann
03-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi,
I would like some feedback regarding microcalcifications of remaining breast and cancer tests/screenings in general. I've been reading all the comments for six months or so and am grateful for all the personal info on Herceptin. I posted similar comments in new members section, but would very much like comments from the larger group. Sorry, if this is a duplicate post as I'm feeling my way around.

I'm 59 years old now, diagnosed Feb 2004, invasive ductal cancer, her-2 neu 3+ (strong), stage 2, tumor grade 3, tumor size 2.5 cm, but no lymph node involvement, and er/pr negative. Mastectomy Feb. 2004. Received only 4 txs of Adriamycin/Cytoxan every three weeks but no taxane drugs (Taxol or taxotere) due to oncologist's recommendation weighing risks and benefits. Originally, my oncologist was not enthusiastic about the benefits of Herceptin for me since no lymph node involvement, but I finally went outside and got a second opinion, plus listening to others and this website. I started receiving Herceptin every three weeks in Jan. 2006. MUGA scans normal so far.

Since 2004 have had 4 cysts drained in remaining right breast, one solid lump biopsied Jan. 2006 (no cancer), but lump is still there. Latest mammo Jan 2006 did not show lump but did show microcalcifications--they are loosely clustered and report said, "probably benign." Calcifications have increased since previous mammo done in 2005. Recommendation from oncologist is to wait another 6 months for another mammo. Previous mammogram in summer 2003 did not reveal anything suspicious of left breast that turned out to be cancer, even though I felt a lump, the doctor felt a lump, and tech felt the lump--hence, my delay in getting assessment and thinking it was "just" a cyst. (I was unaware that dense breast tissue reduces effectiveness of mammograms at that time.) Surgeon will remove remaining breast for "peace of mind" but feels there's no need now. No MRIs, CT scans, or cancer blood screening tests have been ordered to date, except for usual CBC and standard blood tests. Reason given: symptoms not strong enough at this time to warrant testing. I don't want to over-react, but also don't want to miss an opportunity for early detection or prevention. Thanks for any info.

VaMoonRise
03-19-2006, 03:15 AM
Hi G. Ann,

I was diagnosed with microcalcifications in 2004 (from a mammogram). They did a biopsy and confirmed it was cancerous. They called it DCIS stage "0." I underwent a lumpectomy and even had a second lumpectomy to recheck the margins which came back clean once again. They never checked the sentinel nodes. I had radiation everyday for 8 weeks. I continued to have checkups and mammograms every 6 months. I thought I was so fortunate to have caught it early and truly believed that I was now cancer free. Unfortunately in Dec. 2005 I had a gall bladder attack and when they went in to remove it they found cancer spread throughout my liver in both lobes and a bone scan showed two spots on my spine at the T8 & T9 and a possible spot on left hip. The biopsy of the liver showed that the cancer was breast cancer. I am now in a clinical trial consisting of Herceptin and Taxol once a week and Lapatinib everyday and Zometa once a month as a bone strengthener.

If I was you I would demand a biopsy of the microcalcifications. Better to be safe than sorry. I would hate for you to go through what I have especially after you have already been through so much. Here is a great article to read about DCIS.

http://www.annalssurgicaloncology.org/cgi/content/full/8/8/617

I wish you all of the best and I hope others can give you some sound advice.

Big Hugs,
Nicola

kristen
03-19-2006, 03:17 AM
G. Ann,
It brings up a good question and one I have been thinking of lately. I hope you don't mind if I add on to your post?
Previous to my DX, my blood work was (30 days) from another dr. all came back in normal range. How long does it take for blood work to go OUT of range when you met? Do your symptoms show up; example shoulder blade pain for liver mets before your blood work would ever be out of range? or your TM's?

For the most part the only time my blood work was really our of whack was when I was under going chemo. Does it just go one month, triple or double out of range or is it slow? Just curious. Thank you in advance.

Yorkiegirl
03-19-2006, 07:01 AM
I had a MRM April 5, 2005, with 5/16+ nodes. HER2++ ER/PR-

Then this past December 2005, I had a Mamo on my remaing breast and it showed highly increased microcalcifications, surgeon said we would biopsy, I said "NO", I want it removed and has Simple Mastectomy done Jan. 17 2006.
I was not going to go thru thsi again and for me it was best decission, as I am not even on both sides. I have had no reconstruction.

Vicki

G. Ann
03-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi Nicola,
Thanks for sharing your experience and the medical article. It will prompt me to be more proactive. I'm sure it was overwhelming for you to find out the DCIS was not contained as originally stated to you. All the meds you are now on (from the little I know) seem to be right on target. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
G. Ann

sarah
03-20-2006, 04:32 AM
I origianlly had DCIS no lymph nodes involved, had a mastectomy but 4 years later I now have invasive cancer (outside breast) even when they knew where the cancer was - over the sternum between the breasts - (a surgery to try and remove this new recurrence showed up the cancer) - no other test showed these microcalcifications/cancer! no mammo, no sonogram, no Petscan and an MRI showed inflammation but they felt it was inconclusive. I think the cancer has to be 2mm to show up!! so even though it's wide spread if the specks themselves aren't big enough, they don't see them! I went on Taxol and Herceptin, new surgery in same area - no sign of cancer this time and then radiation and I'm now continuing Herceptin for year 2.
So damn well (excuse my French but then I am in France) demand a biosopy of the area (no needle aspration) - that's the surest way. If it's not operable (but if it's in the breast - it is)- insist on an MRI and Petscan and have radiation.
If you're HER2 positive, definitely you should get Herceptin for a certain amount of time.
Unfortunately most cancer starts as DCIS and it is only in the last few years it's been treated more aggressively.
I can't understand not having blood tests - personally I think we should all have period blood tests to check if anything is changing. I get one every 3 months - unfortunately here it's only CA 15,3 not the CA27,29 but still it's something.
good luck.
sarah

G. Ann
03-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for all the info. To my knowledge, I've never had the CA 15,3 or CA 27,29, and I don't see listed on any of my lab reports. If possible, please explain the cancer tests a little more. Were your 3 month CA tests performed since the BC returned, or every 3 months since the very beginning? Also, regarding biopsies, when I was first diagnosed it was from a FNA, thinking we were only dealing with a cyst. The sample that was sent to the lab confirmed cancer and that led to a mastectomy a week later in 2004. Is the biopsy more conclusive than needle aspiration? Thanks again.

sarah
03-23-2006, 12:22 PM
My blood tests have been done every 3 months since the recurrence but at least once is a year is standard and with a new diganosis, I would think every 6 months. There are probably several tests you should have once a year as a check: sonogram, mammogram, maybe lung scan, etc. Ask for your cancer profile showing whether you're HER2+ or -, ER+, PR+, etc and have your oncologist go through each one explaining what it is and what it means regarding your treatment. you should also go on line and check out the meaning as well.
good luck.
sarah

Patricia
03-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Hi G Ann

I too have had microcalcifications show up. I was diagnosed in July 2005 and they showed up on my 6 mo follow up mammogram. My surgeon felt the only option was to biopsy them. He said it is just too risky to leave them alone. I had read that in my own research as well. If you have been diagnosed with BC then they recommend a biopsy to be sure. For those who have never had BC, they often watch them.

I have my surgical biopsy on Monday so I should know by end of next week. I wish you luck and hope that it turns out to be nothing.

Best Wishes
Patricia

G. Ann
04-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi Patricia,

Hope your test results came back negative for the biopsy for microcalcifications. If you have the time, would you explain how a biopsy is done on the microcalcifictions. I'm picturing microcalcifications are so small and not palpable. Was an ultrasound used? Again, sending my prayers and positive thoughts your way.
G.Ann

Kimberly Lewis
04-04-2006, 04:33 AM
This is interesting to me... I had a biopsy of microcalcifications using a mammotome biopsy in 2005. They took eight core samples. From those samples they said I had no invasive carcinoma only DCIS. When I went for a lumpectomy however I had 5.3cm's of invasive lobular tumor that had metasticised into 7 lymph nodes. I have little confidence in those biopsy's anymore. Mine is not a normal situation however thankfully.